Headaches

Options
corgarian
corgarian Posts: 366 Member
So I started Keto in Early June and also began a fitness routine and visiting a personal trainer once a week. I started getting headaches while working out from Day 1. At first I thought it was because my body wasn't used to the exertion. Then after a few weeks and still headaches I thought maybe it was dehydration, so I started setting alarms for myself to drink water throughout the work day. I'm at basically a gallon of water a day give or take, and I'm still getting headaches consistently at every workout. My trainer isn't very familiar with Keto so he only has guesses on how to help me, i honestly think he would rather I give it up. Anyone on here have any suggestions to help with these exertion headaches?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I have been trying to make it a point to incorporate more salt into my diet wherever I can to get to around the 5000 mg mark--salted dried seaweed, Asian recipes (soy sauce, yum yum!), pickled veggies, and dark chocolate with sea salt. Had a headache yesterday and felt slightly better after my dinner dessert of the salty chocolate and pickle.

Not pregnant, just like the combination...
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    How much exertion are you talking about? Did you go from being non-active to really active in a short time? Aside from the Sodium/Electrolytes that KnitOrMiss posted, its possible the headaches could be from just the strain you are putting on your body. Are you breathing correctly? Is there one particular exercise where it flares up? It might be a sensitive nerve that is being inflamed during the workout. You might try to balance the workout with something relaxing and see if the headaches subside. I tend to get stress and sinus headaches frequently so I deal with the stress headaches by meditation, stretching and/or walks and the sinus headaches with daily turmeric/bioperine but if they get to intense then some over the counter pain med. I used to get headaches a long time ago from working out when lifting max weight and not breathing correctly but they didn't last.

Maybe when you eat and when you workout could be causing it as well but I am not sure about that. I try not to workout on an empty stomach but I usually wait a few hours after eating.

Also where are the headaches located on your head? You can search Google to see charts that list the most common types of headaches based on the region they are located on your head. It might give you a good path to deal with them.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    nfc20lcfu9zy.jpg
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Up until last march I was a competitive Roller Derby player, then I had ankle surgery which took me out of the game and training. I went through a serious depression during recovery and gained a lot of weight. I pulled myself out of the slump in June. Before June that I wasn't completely inactive, but also not consistently working out on any kind of schedule, I was super flakey.
    It usually starts while I'm lifting, haven't had an issue during cardio yet. I can feel the headache budding within the first 15 minutes of my sessions. My trainer is starting to focus on my breathing now because I brought up my headaches last night. I feel like I'm breathing, but I could be wrong.
    I do also currently have a sinus infection, but as I said I've been having the headaches for a few weeks so the sinus infection is not helping, but also not the root cause.

I feel the headaches like a blanket across the top of my head.
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been LC about a week and got migraines while trying to sleep two nights in row. I upped my sodium yesterday, and had some broth before bed, and no migraine last night. I was surprised to read that 4-5g of sodium may actually be better for you than 2.3g, but then I never understood the low sodium craze in the first place, and generally paid it little attention while HC addicted. But it's a little harder finding sodium in my diet these days, so I now supplement here and there and with broth (thx Dr. Phinney). Hope your headaches stop!