Protein help!

Options
dianaward0216
dianaward0216 Posts: 11 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
Hey, so I just learned I wasn't taking in enough protein which has actually been killing my energy. When we first started the Keto lifestyle we were so focused on finding the fat, which we're doing great with, but now I need to find the protein.

So keto family, what suggestions do you have for adding protein without going over calories and keeping the fat high?

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I did the same in the beginning. I went crazy making fat bombs and adding butter and coconut oil to my tea/coffee thinking that I was doing it right. Then, I realized that if I just eat good quality meat that isn't lean with each meal, it covers both the protein and the fat.

Yesterday, I actually went slightly over my protein, hit my target for fat and was still 150 calories under my goal. No fat bombs or BP coffee/tea involved.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Focus on fattier cuts of meat, that is the easiest way. But also eggs are good protein... One of the keto folks on youtube just did a chicken breast crust pizza crust (they made it breakfast style) that was really good on protein, and they added olive oil when cooking it... Seemed like a great option to me.
    • I always say though that carbs are a limit (hard limit)...
    • Protein is a minimum goal range (up to 50% overage acceptable sometimes, but not lower than more than once in a blue moon)...
    • Fats only fill in to satiety. You will burn stored body fat for the difference - but only if your are satiated with your meals - you can't force the body to burn extra - it will slow the metabolism first...

So, if you focus on it from that perspective, it might make it easier? Opt for chicken thighs instead of breasts, pork shoulder instead of lean pork chops, whole eggs - sometimes adding egg whites if needed, 75/25 ground beef instead of lean (or add extra fat when cooking), and so on and so forth.

Adding protein powder and collagen works for some, but not always for others. You can use canned tuna to make tuna salad...sardines are a great combo source, too... Liver pate... It really just depends on what you enjoy...
  • KellyJelly11
    KellyJelly11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs, fatty beef and cheese. these are all good sources of protein. I usually have a tough time keeping my protein down to my goal. bacon is also good once in a while.

I find if I need a big protein meal I do a taco salad. I usually have taco meat leftover in the fridge or freezer. So i heat that up, add lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado. Very filling and high in protein and fat. one of my favorite easy meals.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I always have pre-cooked ground beef on hand for the same reason. We eat lots of tacos/taco salads in our home too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to have super high fat. I assume you're seeking bodyfat loss?
    I tend to get plenty of fat in regular cuts of steak or 80/20 ground beef or eggs or even chicken breast. I also eat a little cheese each day and use half n half in coffee.
    When I calculate my keto macros they end up around 100g protein and 70-80g fat. It actually takes effort to not go over fat so I eat some leaner meat too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ijmvinqc4y3n.jpg
  • chriscros63
    chriscros63 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like shrimp smothered in butter and garlic or chicken covered in stirebought alfredo sauce. Sometimes I use shredded cabbage as the noodles.