Food ideas?

Options
stacj27
stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
But I'm trying to do a combo of keto and intermittent fasting. I made it 4 days (and actually started to see results, WOW!) but when the keto flu kicked in I decided to add carbs since I had 3 exams in 2 days and needed my brain at 100%. But what I had been doing a lot during those days was eating below my calories, sometimes by a lot. There were days where I wasn't even breaking 1000 because I wasn't hungry enough in my eating window (I'm doing 16:8 with my gym time in the middle of my 8). Even though some of the foods I ate were calorie dense and I cooked my veggies in bacon fat, my total calories weren't very high. So I've decided to make 2 big meals and a pre-workout snack instead of the 3 meals. I meal prep so I need ideas for keto foods that would be high in calories and keep well for a week if cooked. Also I'm very new to this so any other advice would be helpful. I plan on reading lots of posts so if anyone has a favorite for newbies I'd love the link. Thanks!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    For future reference, keto flu is electrolyte-related not carb related. And, as you noticed, too-low calories won't do you any favors either.

Chicken salad is easy to batch prep, and keeps well and packs well.
    Hard boiled eggs are a major staple of mine. You can batch prep veggies and keep the diced/sliced/spiralized stuff raw and then just give it a quick salute during the week.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The need for speed and convenience is part of what got lots of people into "food jambs" and on to junk/processed/ foods to begin with. Consider rethinking your schedule.

That said, try roasting a whole chicken or small pork loin to beef chuck roast and using it throughout the week. Meat freezes well also. The roasting time is uninterrupted study time. 2 eggs cracked in a shallow bowl take only a minute or so in the microwave with no frying pan to wash. Food really does not have to be delicious, just nutritious and satisfy physical hunger.

I don't use bagged salad mixes but they're fine. Add some canned tuna, other leftover meat, a sliced boiled egg and some dressing and you have dinner in 10 minutes.

• erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Boil a bunch of eggs... it's easy to make deviled eggs! They are high in fat, and tasty! I also like to always have the pre-cooked bacon. That's quick and easy to heat in the microwave... and It's great on a salad. Also, I usually end up eating about 1/4 cup of macadamia nights most evenings, to get my fat and calories up.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    erika_307 wrote: »
    Also, I usually end up eating about 1/4 cup of macadamia nights most evenings, to get my fat and calories up.

I don't like macadamia nuts but I watched a YouTube video and a guy said he didn't either but loved them dipped in peanut butter. I'm going to give that a try. I love my butter and don't mind adding coconut oil but I love to eat too lol.

• erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... that's interesting, Mac nuts dipped in peanut butter... I'll have to try that! I also just noticed that pecans only have 1 net carb too, 210 cals, and 22 grams of fat per serving. Maybe you like those better?
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No I only really like almonds but I'd try them in peanut butter too