Constant cravings.

Options
kt90gurl
kt90gurl Posts: 37 Member
Is it only me who gets constant cravings for stuff they can't have, then feel depressed because they can't have it. Then have the will power to not have it for someone to go and say 'oh go on its only a slice of pizza' GRR. So you eat the slice (that the skinny person told you to eat) feel like crap and eat more.. vicious circle, how do you find the will power to get out of this cycle?!

Replies

• aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I find it really helps to make sure I build "treats" into my diet on a regular basis. I then find I'm much more able to control myself (except when under a lot of stress which is why I'm here). The difficulty obviously is to find treats where you can stop at 1 smallish portion so I had to stop eating chips, crackers an cookies for a while as I knew that once the packet was open I'd scoff the lot!!
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Drinking two cups of water before meals helps me..i feel its the body dehydration that causes cravings
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,175 Member
    Options
    It is important to change your "inner dialogue"---- "I will enjoy a piece of pizza", instead of "Oh, crap, I ate pizza, so now I'm going to eat another, etc...." If I deny myself too much, I do rebound eating. We can do this!!
  • EmPhil95
    EmPhil95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree that sometimes you just have to eat the pizza and enjoy it! But also it can be useful to recognise what specifically the craving is for, in terms of food or just tastes/textures (ie. for me if I'm craving pizza, I'm probably actually just craving melted cheese which is easier to have somewhat healthily)
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    AVOID WHEAT ALTOGETHER and you will see the cravings disappear !! be careful about ready meals and processed foods because they sneak in WHEAT in burgers, sausages, soups and various processed meats.

If I have a cereal that has wheat in it, I know that by the evening I will have a crazy appetite, and CRAVINGS for chocolate/crisps/pizza whatever...

I would just say to try cutting it out and keep a food diary see how you feel, and see if it makes any difference. Good luck.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There's a good article in NY Times by Gary Taubes about carb cravings. He hits nail right on head.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are some books out there that speak about things like this. Try checking out "When Food Is Love" by Geneen Roth to address the emotional aspects of cravings and denying ourselves things
  • twylight48
    twylight48 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something like pizza I will buy one take out one piece then give the rest to my kids or friends who have no problem eating the rest