Therapy Consult Today

Options
rll22
rll22 Posts: 39 Member
I have my therapist appointment today! I am a bit nervous because I've never gone to a therapist before. I have seen on a lot of weight loss shows that they believe that there must be a reason you got this big, a reason you might not even be aware of, but honestly for me I enjoy food and I am lazy! I am glad to finally get this appointment done and hope he approves me for surgery! I am just worried that I might say the wrong thing! Wish me luck today!!

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Good luck today! I had my consultation 2 years ago but failed it--got diagnosed with an eating disorder (Binge Eating Disorder) which also ended my surgery progression until that's fixed. It wasn't really anything I said verbally but more from the way I answered some of the questions on the tests (true/false, multiple choice) they gave me.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @rll22 let us know how it goes. There is never a right or wrong answer when it comes to this sort of thing. What matters most is that you are taking control of your health now.

Trust me, I have been going to Weight WTchers for years, had portion control down, and had a good head around weight loss and food. Even my pre-op psychologist commented how grounded I was in my way of thinking about food. That being said, I have my days/weeks etc where I eat like garbage. I still sometimes eat my emotions, but I recognize it and get myself back on track. No matter how a therapist views you, we all make mistakes and no one is perfect.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Maybe there were just no concerns, but I felt like my psychological consult was a joke. In fact, it almost seemed like she was asking me leading questions to keep me from saying anything that would disqualify or disrupt the approval process. Of course, I'm happy to not have had to jump through additional hoops, but really felt like it was a waste of time and money.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My consult was really simple. I think I may have filled out a basic questionnaire, but it wasn't anything significant. It felt more like an actual therapy session to me. Lots of talk, particularly about my depression and how I manage it, when it started, etc. At the end of the session she just told me after surgery to book my 3 month post-op with her...that it was included in the charge. Very simple and easy.

And uh, I have lots of "issues" lol. I was so nervous about the exam but it was nothing (to me).
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The psychological eval is part of the process for most insuance approval and liability for surgeon's.

My eval was straight forward. I have seen very few people denied or delayed until they were treated for issues.

• MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was nervous too because I do have anxiety and it can get very bad. I was honest with her although I thought it would delay my surgery. I figured I didnt want to have the surgery and sabotage it myself by not telling the truth. I'm glad I did because she was amazing and helped me so much. My surgery was never delayed and I feel more in control than I ever have.