Working towards morning workouts

Options
krfitmom
krfitmom Posts: 17 Member
Well I'm up and dressed and about to go outside for a long run this morning. I tend to workout later in the day because I love sleep. But working out in the am is wonderful because it's over and done with and you feel great all day. Would love any tips you have for getting my butt out of bed more often? What time do you head to bed? Think that's my problem as I'm a night owl.

Replies

• bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am a caged night owl. Bed by 11pm, up at 5:45am. At the beginning, I set an alarm at 10:45 pm to let myself know it was time to head to bed.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Im with you! Seriously find morning motivation challenging. But i dont get home from work untill late so i really need to get into it in the mornings.. so hard!

Ive heard tips like sleep in your gym wear so you feel silly if you dont work out. Or leave your workout gear somewhere where you will see it so you have it in your mind..
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go back to work after maternity leave and I'm planning to work out first thing because I'll want to be spending time with my baby after work and there is no way I'll go after she goes to bed at 7pm. My plan is to lay out all my clothes and pack my bags the night before so all I have to do is brush my teeth and have a glass of water and leave. I'll be cycling to and from work (25 minutes each way) so I just need to fit in strength training.

Schedule will look like this -

Wake up - 6:00am
    Leave house, bike downtown - 6:15am
    Arrive at Gym - 6:45am
    Weight lifting - 6:50 - 7:30
    Shower, get dressed
    Leave YMCA, buy coffee - 7:50
    Work - 8:00am
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can get used to it. But you might either need a nap or an early night, once it's a routine.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this as well. I have to be out the door by 7 am so I can make it to work by 8 am. That means I need to get up at 4:30 am to do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 + minutes of strength training before I start getting ready for work (I do have a gym membership but I have weights and an elliptical machine at home as well, so I would be working out at home in the morning)

I'm also a night owl, and Netflix is SOOOOO wonderful. I go to bed with the best of intentions, but then the alarm clock goes off and I think "eh, sleep is important too..."

:(

How do you all do it? I feel guilty because it's all RIGHT THERE IN THE NEXT ROOM!!

:(
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to work out more in the mornings as it is harder to feel motivated after work - especially in the summer! For now I do it Tuesday (I have to get up at 4:00am in order to get to work on time). I am trying to do it twice a week, but for now I have it as routine to do my early morning on Tuesdays. I will add another day over the next week and hopefully add more days as I go along. Try doing it like that maybe? When you know it is only one day, then only 2 days it does make it a little easier.... good luck!
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I feel exhausted whenever I try to do cardio in the morning without eating something first but then when I actually eat something, I'm afraid to step on the treadmill for the next 2 hours. ):

Do you guys eat something immediately beforehand? Or do you guys eat something the night before to fuel your early morning workouts?
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat half a banana and mix some protein powder in coffee.... but I do limited cardio, I strength train first for 45 minutes then only about 5 minutes on the treadmill running intervals
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I found what helps me is to do my bedtime routine after dinner instead of waiting for my "official bedtime". So, after dinner clean up is done, I'll brush my teeth, lay out my clothes for the next day, put out the items for breakfast the next morning. That way, when bedtime comes, I don't procrastinate because I have a bedtime ritual to complete. I also set an alarm at night for 9:30 p.m., which is my Netflix off time and then I read for 30 minutes (setting another alarm for that.)

Also, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast every day for years: 2 scoops of Alive pea protein in 2 cups of almond milk, some matcha tea and stevia powders. I make this the night before, store it in the fridge in the blender and just run it through the blender quickly in the a.m. The matcha is awesome (though it isn't tasty), and it gives me something quick and easily digestible in the morning.
  • joallana
    joallana Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wake up and chug a preworkout. That way, I know there is no way I'll be able to get back to sleep, and I need to do a workout to burn off the excess energy. The preworkout gives me the energy to work out without being heavy like food or even a shake, and then I can eat whatever breakfast I want later.
  • gracefitsmind
    gracefitsmind Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! I hope this is relevant and admin please feel free to remove it not, but it might help you keep to your morning workouts! I know how hard it can be, but if you are committed by participating in a study investigating mental and physical training (MAP), it might help you get out of bed!

If you are interested, Fitsmind is conducting a study which you have a free 8 week personalised training guide, which you have to log your workout completion online. You will have to complete 3 workouts per week (45 mins each) for 8 weeks. Please let me know if this sounds like something you might be interested in participating in, its completely free and you can participate from wherever you!

Thanks,

Grace
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have better workouts if I work out in the evening, but if I absolutely have to work out in the morning, I make it easier by:

1. setting out my workout clothes the night before
    2. not letting myself hit snooze; if I do, it just makes it harder to finally get out of bed!
    3. telling my husband the night before that I will be getting up early to work out; that makes me feel like now I have to do it.
  • pittmanclan545
    pittmanclan545 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I run every morning and I love it!! I am usually out the door by 7:30 and I run anywhere from 3-5 miles depending on how much time I have. I find that I have much more energy in the mornings so I save my runs for then. I have a routine I stick to. I get up.. make my bed.. get my lunch ready to take to work and set out my clothes. When I get back from the run I just shower, dress and go! After work I tend to do less intense of a work out. I either walk a few miles or hit the gym. Takes less effort for me than a full blown 4 mile run.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to get up and going, but once I'm up and going, I'm so glad I went. It's a great feeling having it all over so early. But it takes discipline to go to bed early and I struggle w/ that. In the morning, I have to make sure I'm 100% prepared. Clothes laid out, gym towel, water, keys, headphones, whatever I need to take, it's all in one area. That is key for me. I have even slept in my gym clothes before.