Should I eat more to slow my loss?

Options
randilyn2013
randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
I am a 5'2" 22yo female. Since the beginning of June I've lost about 20lbs with keto and some IF (I've done keto before I was just never consist). I'm thrilled that the weight is just falling off but all of a sudden there's this concern I'm losing too fast or that I have an eating disorder. I've been eating around 1200 calories a day (I know it's low). In the beginning it was hard but since I'm more keto adapted it's been a breeze. I don't workout excessively I go to the gym 2-3 times a week for maybe 45 minutes. My typical day goes about like this.

"Breakfast"
Espresso w/almond milk and HWC
1/2-1cup strawberries
2 eggs
1slice bacon

Dinner
4-6 oz of meat usually beef
1-2 cups broccoli/mixed vegetables
Cheese of some sort

Snacks
Almonds
Cheese
Keto mug cake (amazing)
Occasionally baked garlic parm green beans or kale chips

Should I increase my calories to slow my loss so people (friends and mfp connections) don't freak out? I am enjoying a healthier lifestyle I don't want any negative thoughts or worries surrounding it.

Replies

• richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I should probably shut up, but that looks like a decent diet imo. Maybe add more protein on work out days. As long as you are not hungry, and you still have some weight to lose which is supplying some calories, I wouldn't worry too much about what others think.

I'm a 6'4" male and I've eaten between 1500 and 1800 this week because I don't have much hunger. I'm concentrating on getting protein and low carbs and not too worried about getting extra fat - my body is supplying plenty of that. If I get hungry, I eat, and I'll still be below my TDEE. For example, I had my first stack in 2 weeks after mowing the lawn today - I was feeling hungry so I ate.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'd say follow your hunger cues. If the 1200 calories per days is satisfying you, you have energy, and you're feeling good, then don't worry about it. If you get hungry or your energy dips, then eat more. As Karlottap pointed out, the weight loss will slow and stabilize at some point. Your body knows what it needs.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am a 5'2" 22yo female. Since the beginning of June I've lost about 20lbs with keto and some IF (I've done keto before I was just never consist). I'm thrilled that the weight is just falling off but all of a sudden there's this concern I'm losing too fast or that I have an eating disorder. I've been eating around 1200 calories a day (I know it's low). In the beginning it was hard but since I'm more keto adapted it's been a breeze. I don't workout excessively I go to the gym 2-3 times a week for maybe 45 minutes. My typical day goes about like this.

"Breakfast"
    Espresso w/almond milk and HWC
    1/2-1cup strawberries
    2 eggs
    1slice bacon

Dinner
    4-6 oz of meat usually beef
    1-2 cups broccoli/mixed vegetables
    Cheese of some sort

Snacks
    Almonds
    Cheese
    Keto mug cake (amazing)
    Occasionally baked garlic parm green beans or kale chips

Should I increase my calories to slow my loss so people (friends and mfp connections) don't freak out? I am enjoying a healthier lifestyle I don't want any negative thoughts or worries surrounding it.

Nope. You're doing great. I'd keep on!

Enjoy it while you can. Then you get old like me and everything takes forever, lol.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 8 weeks is not an extreme rate of weight loss: it's only 2.5lbs per week. How much do you weigh now and what's your goal?
  • randilyn2013
    randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    20lbs in 8 weeks is not an extreme rate of weight loss: it's only 2.5lbs per week. How much do you weigh now and what's your goal?

I'm down to 173lbs. My bmi is still considered obese at 31 or 32. My goal is to hit a normal bmi around 130-135 but I know it won't happen for quite a while.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There is no need. As you get to lower weight the rate of loss will slow down . Mine went from 3 pounds a week to 2 pounds a week now at 173
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish I'd done early on is to have gotten a beginning DXA body composition scan.

I got my first one nearly a year into my switch to keto - I'd lost 25lbs but was dismayed to find that my lean tissue was very low. I've since upped my protein and will head back in a couple weeks to see where things stand....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @randilyn2013 assuming 10 pounds of your loss was fat loss to that I another 35,000 calories that you can average out daily over two months. Make sure you are getting enough protein for sure.