Berger on GNG and BG rise after protein consumption = meat does not make sugar

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
@AlabasterVerve posted this link to Amy Berger's blog, Tuit Nutrition , on gluconeogenesis, blood glucose rises, and glucagon after eating protein. It is VERY well written. It explains how protein does NOT turn into sugar, and why adequate protein intake is helpful during low carb or ketogenic weight loss.

It is a long read but an excellent one!
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I enjoy her writing, and I thought this article was another solid hit for her.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy when the last of the anti-protein zealots are finally silenced by overwhelming evidence. However, I know that I am trying to drown a shark with that one, as there's already a mountain, yet they still keep babbling.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I was hoping someone besides me would share this. I've been wanting to all day! ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy when the last of the anti-protein zealots are finally silenced by overwhelming evidence. However, I know that I am trying to drown a shark with that one, as there's already a mountain, yet they still keep babbling.

I agree. I was one of them once upon a time, but I finally learned and can't deny my physical changes due to not limiting it.

w5q39wxmvslh.jpg
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I need to read it. It would be great to see some data supporting what I have been doing the entire time on keto. FWIW my protein intake has been higher than the typical keto diet because of all the training I do.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I need to read it. It would be great to see some data supporting what I have been doing the entire time on keto. FWIW my protein intake has been higher than the typical keto diet because of all the training I do.

The book Protein Power may be a good read for you. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living ( and Performance) are good too.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »

The book Protein Power may be a good read for you. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living ( and Performance) are good too.

Thank you and added to the list :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @AlabasterVerve posted this link to Amy Berger's blog, Tuit Nutrition , on gluconeogenesis, blood glucose rises, and glucagon after eating protein. It is VERY well written. It explains how protein does NOT turn into sugar, and why adequate protein intake is helpful during low carb or ketogenic weight loss.

It is a long read but an excellent one!
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

I find this link to be troublesome. It is forcing to rethink my current understanding of the subject. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you! I'm a fan of protein myself. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I remember more than one low-pro advocate telling me that I was screwing myself last year, when my cutting macros were 50/46/4 (p/f/c) a bit over a year ago. I'm just glad I didn't go any lower. The LBM loss that I suffered even when that high was, in retrospect, completely unacceptable.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link @nvmomketo . LOVE Amy Berger's stuff!
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great read
  • vysila
    vysila Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This article was really helpful and encouraging for me as a type 2 diabetic. I find I've been eating more protein than expected and I had this nagging worry that perhaps I was doing more harm than good - but reading this helped me calm down a bit over my protein intake.
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Meh, this article could have been a lot shorter if she didn't spend so much time talking about how long it is, lol. On the overall theme, I don't think I heard anything new here. And I don't think I've ever been advised to eat low protein (grams, not necessarily percentage). Quite the opposite, actually. Calcs and people are telling me I should be eating a lot more protein.

I have a lot of weight to lose. If I lost every ounce of fat on my body instantly, I'd still be 50 lbs overweight (according to the BMI chart). And at a more realistic BMI and 20% body fat, I'd still have another 20 or so lbs of lean body mass to lose. So I'm not worried about too little protein for now. I eat about all I can stand. If I ate steak every day, I could eat more, but I can't eat pork, chicken, fish or eggs in that quantity (for now). I've only been doing low carb about 2 weeks, so I expect my appetite for protein to increase over time, and I will have to eat more (than now) when I get to maintenance. But I would not be worried about eating too much, as long as my total calories were right. And moderate or higher protein, with fats, will keep me from overeating like I did on a high carb, high fat, high protein diet.

Atkins had it right 25 years ago in NDR:

Protein in the original Greek means "of the first importance". The Greeks had it right! Protein ... is the basic building block of life and essential to almost every chemical reaction in the human body.