Third trimester calorie goal

Options
frannyshai
frannyshai Posts: 15 Member
Hi, I'm 30 weeks pregnant with 4th child and want to use MyFitnessPal to track calories for this last ten weeks as this is the time I tend to really pile on the pounds. Just wondered what other pregnant ladies have their calorie goal set to in the third trimester? Thank you x

Replies

• phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi Frannyshai. I'm only 24 weeks at the moment, but I've been following the new NHS guidelines (UK) to eat maintenance calories for your pre-pregnancy weight and only add an extra 200 calories per day in the third trimester. I've set the maintenance weight calories in "my goals" on MFP then will probably have to manually adjust them to add 200 calories once I start the third trimester. So far my weight gain has mostly been following a healthy steady amount so i'll be keeping with the plan at the moment. Good luck!
  • frannyshai
    frannyshai Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you phreekles
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would base it on your overall weight gain goal (hopefully you and your OB set this at the beginning) and where you currently are, as well as how your baby is measuring.

I am currently shooting for maintenance as estimated using my activity tracker. Currently I am 33 weeks, +18 lbs in a 20lbs gain goal (so looks unlikely I won't go over at this point), and baby is measuring big (on track to be 9-10 lbs as of last week). Apparently I don't need much extra to grow a big boy! I have stuck to maintenance for most of the pregnancy with a couple weeks off here and there. I have seen pretty significant gains over short periods of time when I wasn't tracking and making poor food decisions.
  • jaclynwf007
    jaclynwf007 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    phreekles wrote: »
    Hi Frannyshai. I'm only 24 weeks at the moment, but I've been following the new NHS guidelines (UK) to eat maintenance calories for your pre-pregnancy weight and only add an extra 200 calories per day in the third trimester. I've set the maintenance weight calories in "my goals" on MFP then will probably have to manually adjust them to add 200 calories once I start the third trimester. So far my weight gain has mostly been following a healthy steady amount so i'll be keeping with the plan at the moment. Good luck!

I just found out you can type in second or third trimester in your daily food log to deduct the calories you like daily. Between 300-500. I think ive been typing in second tri but only giving myself half a day as to only add 200 cals to my overall daily cals. I just add it each morning. Hope that helps. Theres even an entry for breastfeeding.
  • AllegraAlyce
    AllegraAlyce Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    http://fittobepregnant.com/pregnancy-breastfeeding-calorie-calculator/
    (Hopefully I'm allowed to post this? I seemed helpful to punch in varying numbers and see what it gave me.)

Right now I have my *net caloric intake set to 1900, so when I exercise I log that and eat more to make up the difference, I had it set to 2100 but I'm finding that I have a hard time, so long as I'm eating healthy and moderately active, eating *enough right now to reach that number. I woke up STARVING, but my stomach does not have the room for a large meal.
    3v42vpukjqwz.png