Fixing Dad, just watch it, you won't regret it.

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
www.fixingdad.com

A really nice documentary about two sons spending a year, fixing their Dad. T2D was just the beginning.

Replies

• DocRobT2DLCHF
    DocRobT2DLCHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no time to watch, but curious, is this low carb high fat?
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    They didn't focus on diet, but there was talk of bad carbs and eating better. There was a bit more on cycling for exercise. And talking to doctors with both good and bad advice. It was about the journey. I don't want to give too much away.

Very good - thanks for recommending. I enjoyed it.
  • DocRobT2DLCHF
    DocRobT2DLCHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rich.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy thanks for the video link. I lost my dad in 1993 and mom in 1999. At that point in time I knew more could be done by diet and movement but I did not know 'HOW' to do it then.

I am working on fixing ME for my kids so they have an example different than I had growing up. They turn 20 in a couple months so time is on their side still.

Thanks again because the film shows what family can do for family to make life better.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I kinda want to go buy a bike now.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    I kinda want to go buy a bike now.

Here's a tip for bike buying. I traded in my standard issue bike last year for a "comfort bike." They look something like beach bikes but have gears. (Riding a bike with no gears, is about as much fun as dragging a refrigerator behind you.) The "comfort" part is because the seat is placed farther back so that your arms are extended in front of you and you aren't putting all your upper body weight on your wrists. I can ride this bike twice as long as my last one because my arms, wrists and hands aren't going numb after 20 minutes.

P.S. Don't forget your helmet.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes. Please don't forget your helmet.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'll third the helmet thing. Cars have little or no respect for fit and agile bikers, on LCHF diets. All heads are fair game, no matter how healthy the bodies are.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Cars have little or no respect for fit and agile bikers

At least one study has noted that drivers give a wider berth to riders who don't wear a helmet, and/or who are perceived as female. I have also heard that drivers will give riders who look less confident--i.e., they wobble or weave a bit in the lane--more room. (Most of the local drivers have no idea what to make of my recumbent, so they stay well away. ;) )

Still, probably a good idea to wear the helmet.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's technically illegal to not wear a cycling helmet where I live (RCMP can ticket you, but don't usually - they have more important crimes to take care of) so I think that drivers see non-helmeted cyclists as 'newbies' who maybe can't handle any surprises coming up on their left, lol. Make sure you put your helmet on correctly too. The helmet should be level and it should not be tipped back on the rear of your head. https://youtube.com/watch?v=0yzSwxWIJTk
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'll third the helmet thing. Cars have little or no respect for fit and agile bikers, on LCHF diets. All heads are fair game, no matter how healthy the bodies are.

I'll forth it.

Kid #2 broke his arm in a biking accident this summer. His helmet looked pretty ugly afterwards too. I was thankful he had it... I just wish it had been a full face helmet. Ouch. :(
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot another piece of hard won advice: Don't bike wearing shoes with laces. I'm alive (albeit slightly scarred) only because my right shoelace, not my left, got tangled in my bike chain, so I wound up on a sand dune instead of the front fender of that F150 pick-em-up truck that was barreling toward us. You can get from amazon or your local sporting good stores stretchy replacement laces for your current shoes; the laces lock in place and stay tucked out of harm's way. The write-up on amazon doesn't mention saving your *kitten* when riding a bike; that's just a plus.

https://www.amazon.com/LACES-Elastic-Shoelace-Fastening-System/dp/B007DLVLBQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1501608995&sr=8-4&keywords=lock+laces
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot another piece of hard won advice: Don't bike wearing shoes with laces. I'm alive (albeit slightly scarred) only because my right shoelace, not my left, got tangled in my bike chain, so I wound up on a sand dune instead of the front fender of that F150 pick-em-up truck that was barreling toward us. You can get from amazon or your local sporting good stores stretchy replacement laces for your current shoes; the laces lock in place and stay tucked out of harm's way. The write-up on amazon doesn't mention saving your *kitten* when riding a bike; that's just a plus.

https://www.amazon.com/LACES-Elastic-Shoelace-Fastening-System/dp/B007DLVLBQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1501608995&sr=8-4&keywords=lock+laces

....And I took a tumble when the hem of my jacket got caught round the back of the saddle, and as I dismounted - my jacket wouldn't. Most undignified, but otherwise ok. I felt really dumb though....

@canadjineh Good point about the Legal technicality. Folks, it's well worth looking up the legal situation where you live; if the local law says you should be wearing a helmet, if you're in an accident (even if it's the other person's 'fault') your insurance and compensation could be compromised if you weren't equipped in the way required by Law.

Ooooh, get her, goin' all Miss Legal!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, @AlexandraCarlyle I'm a Lycra cyclist, with proper shoes, clip in pedals, and padded gloves and have been a strictly road cyclist up until about 4 years ago. Then I also got a "mountain bike" and expanded my dirt road experience. The tighter fitting the clothes, the less likely flapping bits (fabric or skin) will get caught. :s