Macros

Options
QueenLB33
QueenLB33 Posts: 7 Member
Hi! I'm new to the community. I've had my first visit for VSG with five more to go before surgery. I'm wondering does anyone count macros before and/or after the surgery? If so, what did your dietician advise? I know my dietician told me to consume at least 60g of protein in a day, minimum. I pretty much eat healthy anyways as far as fruit, vegetables and protein three times a day. But I have to get use to eating "good carbs." I was advised to keep doing what I'm doing already and log my meals and consume at least 1200 calories in a day. Any advice?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @QueenLB33 Sounds like good advice your getting from dietician. I don't worry about macros too much being two and half years post op. I think I've found a eating plan that's right for me. If you're eating a good balance of food you should have no problem getting 60gr of protein. After surgery it will be harder so you may need shakes and drinks. I like that dietician recommended 1,200 calories at least. If you go too low it may screw up your metabolism. Keep at it. You're doing great!
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ditto on garber6th
  • QueenLB33
    Options
    Thanks so much! ;) Today was my first day back to logging food and I get more than enough protein. I hadhdy to force myself to get to at least to 1200 calories. Today was rough. I'm 200 shy and STUFFED. I was use to eating 600-700 calories that eating three larger meals keeps me full throughout the day. I'm not going to overdo it though. Plus, my dietician told me to eat protein first to fill me and it has! I think I'll eat smaller meals more often tomorrow and hopefully that'll work better for me. Thanks for the insight everyone!
  • elle77belle
    elle77belle Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Before I had surgery, I had to attend classes that were provided by the Dr. We started out at 1500 then the second stage was 1200. The classes were three months long. We switched to the lower calorie level at week 6.

I'm only 9 months post op and to lose weight now I have to stay between 800-1200 calories per my Dr's office. If I eat anything over that I just stay at the same weight. I'm 5 8" I eat about 120 protein grams a day and try and stay around 50 carbs, but if they are good carbs I really don't care as long as I hit the gym . :)
  • QueenLB33
    Options
    Thanks so much @elle77belle I appreciate it! I'd figure the calories will be reduced after while. It's just the small changes I have to concentrate on.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So much for edit....
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with fit_chikx. For me personally I have to concentrate on my protein and put it in my fitness pal. Most of the time, honestly, when I'm training hard, a lot of my meals are 5 oz of fish or other Seafood.. And that's it. For me personally that makes me feel great
  • QueenLB33
    Options
    Thanks so much for the insight! With logging I'm learning how my carb macros help to lose weight. I'm loving this app and watching how certain foods help me to lose weight.