Insomnia? Sleep expert Dan Pardi interviewed (w transcript)

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
It seems there have been quite a few discussions about sleep in various threads lately, so I thought I'd post a separate item.

Here are a couple video interviews with sleep researcher Dan Pardi. He conveys a lot of knowledge but also offers some basic practical suggestions, like installing f.lux blue light regulator on your PC (and similar apps on your smartphone) to reduce blue light in the evening.

(Worst case scenario - you're bored to tears and fall asleep watching them....)

Here's a link to the transcript of his interview on FoundMyFitness. (You may need to sign up for FMF's newsletter - which is worthwhile IMHO - but you can unsubscribe.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhMjrWlWhLU

https://youtu.be/R44hcu295l4

[@baconslave @dragonwolf - poss Launch Pad items]

Replies

• CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @RalfLott!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Thank you @RalfLott
    Have favourited the thread so I can check out the interviews
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Here's another interview transcript.

And here's his blog at Dansplan.com - lot of interesting stuff.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Bump
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Videos have been added to the LP
    Recommended Resources>Videos and Podcasts>Sleep
  • RalfLott
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Thanks - always greatly appreciated! (Your computer must be back among the living. ??)

• baconslave
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

Thanks - always greatly appreciated! (Your computer must be back among the living. ??)

Yes. Thank the Maker. Well, I abandoned the laptop as a lost cause. DH had a well-functioning spare. It's power supply promptly died. :confounded: Then my phone had to be completely wiped and reset as it had a critical crash. I'm almost afraid to touch anything electronic anymore.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thanks @baconslave as a sufferer of bad sleep, this is an insightful posting, and I know I am not the only one on here.

Heck, I have even bought an adult colouring book to help me de-stress to get to sleep. At 41 I am colouring in pictures and doing dot to dot...
  • baconslave
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Thanks @baconslave as a sufferer of bad sleep, this is an insightful posting, and I know I am not the only one on here.

Heck, I have even bought an adult colouring book to help me de-stress to get to sleep. At 41 I am colouring in pictures and doing dot to dot...

All I am is oddball librarian in Cataloging. @RalfLott found it. :smile:
  • RalfLott
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @baconslave, it's only because @KarlynKeto pointed us in the direction of Rhonda Patrick's podcasts...... ;)

PS You're our oddball librarian.... <3
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <snore... >
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about f.lux, and was wondering why it didn't exist on iOS. Then I checked settings and realized that my iPhone (6s) already has the feature in place, right out of the box.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OMG, I just downloaded f.lux and my screen is so dark orange I can hardly read it. It hurts my eyes. Now what? I have to hunt it up somewhere in my downloads and destroy it.
    I can't figure out how to do this!!!! I can only find the shortcut icon AAARGH!
    I found the spot where I can change the brightness of the light, now my screen is just a dull peach colour - I told it I wake up at 11 am earliest.
  • LCHF123
    LCHF123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another approach, rather than f.lux, is to use orange tinted eye glasses when watching TV / using a computer / phone. I have to admit I never wear mine when using my phone, but wearing them whilst working on my laptop has massively helped my headaches and inability to sleep. The orange tint blocks out the blue light and the ones I have aren't even noticeably orange (people just assume they are prescription ones!)
  • Coffeelover1264
    Coffeelover1264 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love f.lux and have been using it for a long time. I think your eyes get used to it over time.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love f.lux and have been using it for a long time. I think your eyes get used to it over time.

They do. I no longer really notice the change. However, the emails I send after it kicks in tend to lack vowels and resemble Czech proverbs.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have had sleeping issues since my teen years. They seem to cycle so I wld sleep great fir weeks then a week of limited sleeping w lots of waking up and trouble finding sleep. Since I started keto I gave only had one night of rough sleep which I put down to two cups of coffee in the evening. I don't know why, but LCHF seems to help my sleep pattern. A bonus side effect