How many carbs can you "get away with?"

Options
lottogirly
lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
So I know we are all trying for low carb. But I want to know, of you who are steadily losing weight, how many grams of carbs can you personally eat a day and still keep losing the weight?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My goal amount swings between 50g and 164g just depending on if it's a strength training day or not.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Any carbs I eat are either 'accidental' or in vegetables. I manage to keep at a relatively stable 25 - 35g/day.
    I used to be lower still. Guess I'm just getting careless.

I have an aversion to simple carbs. I actually recoil when faced with the prospect of being given the choice to eat bread/rice/pasta/potatoes.
    I avoid sweet things too, quite effortlessly. Doughnuts, croissants, apple turnovers, chelsea buns....
    Nope, nope, nope and nope. Thanks, but no thanks.

But I ate a banana, two grapes, one strawberry and a greengage plum today. Good calorific total, (101) but quite a few carbs (28g)....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If I go above about 50g I seem to have problems. I think I just eat more when I eat more carbs.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I choose to be a carnivore at the minute so not sure what my body can cope with, I do know the more sweet things I eat or the higher carb I go the more likely I am to have a binge attack so while I am losing weight I will keep as low as possible for as long as possible and try to work on my personal issues with food so that when I reach my weight goal I can try to reintroduce other foods slowly if I decide to - or I may stay a carnivore forever as I feel great eating just meat
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I vary between around 40 total to 150ish per day (mostly veg, some rice) in some weeks, but notice that I feel better at the lower end. Ankles swell from retained water, joints ache, etc. if I overdo--so I end up intermittent fasting the next day till that goes away. My weight is stable now but I gain about a kilo in water weight when I eat over 80 grams per day. YMMV--everyone has a different tolerance for carbs.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For weight loss, I "got away with " 160--->120 total grams/day but most often ate considerably less since my focus was eating mostly vegetables versus pasta or sweets.

4 years of maintenance and I'm currently eating about 50 total carb grams a day. I may go over that amount occasionally for a bowl of chili or Greek yogurt with raspberries and flaxseed meal in addition to my daily dose of vegetables. It has never caused any negative effects that I'm aware of. Eating enough fat is my focus. It keeps me from being hungry.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, except for when I had bronchitis, I never went over 22 grams in a day and those couple of days were oopses.