Exercise calories

Options
sibeluver03
sibeluver03 Posts: 58 Member
I've never eaten back my exercise calories. Mostly because I do T25 and don't know how to imput that work out into MFP. It's not running, it's not all cardio.... I've been steadily loosing but have wondered if I should be eating back some of those calories when all is said and done. Thanks for any imput!

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you feel satiated. If you are feeling actual hunger then eat more. MFP knows nothing about exercise calories anyhow. Just make sure you get enough protein for your body, keep carbs low, and fill in with fats to satiety. That's if you are aiming for weight loss as opposed to keto/low carb for other reasons.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The math for computing exercise calories is too random, unscientific and individual to be useful in our health journey. "You'll burn XXX calories for NN minutes of Y" is problematic unless you're being personally evaluated by a real expert of some sort.

I figure we should move our bodies for good mental and physical health (and maybe even good looks) and make our food choices for the same reasons. And not mix up the two.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I probably would have entered T25 as 25 minutes of Aerobics, low impact if I wanted to have some sort of record since aerobics is in the data base. I've never been one to do super calorie burning exercises ( though I exercised daily) and always considered exercise calories as something to offset my possible underestimating of food. I didn't need to be super accurate during weight loss. I never ate at an extreme deficit and was never an exercise warrior so didn't worry about eating back exercise calories or under eating. So long as I was losing at a safe and satisfactory rate, which was 1-2 pounds per week for me, I was happy.

Today, I enter every exercise, regardless of duration or type, as 1 calorie burned. I like entering exercise from my phone because exercises are so easy to create: kpk burned 1 calorie doing 25 minutes of Getting Her Butt Whooped with T-25. :p
  • sibeluver03
    sibeluver03 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just won't worry about it then! I figure if I have an extra snack every now and then I'll probably be okay. I am losing weight steadily, though it comes off in "whooshes." I'll go three to four weeks without any loss then will suddenly drop 2-4 pounds. I'm so close to my 50 pound goal, it's a tad bit frustrating that I can't hit that goal just yet. I'll get there!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Whooshes are very normal, you can track the general downward trend with an app, sorry I can't remember the names of the more popular ones but others can 'weigh in' on their favorites.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I put 1 calorie in for amount burned. I figure if I have a day when I need to eat more and I've exercised I can change amount burned.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I didn't/don't use a weight trend app but 2 of the popular one seem to be Libra for android and Happy Scale for iphone.