Coke Zero & keto

Options
Hello guys, just a quick question: is it ok to drink Coke while in keto? Is ok a not carbs or is bad as spike insulin?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do well with it, but ya, some people do recommend against artificial sweeteners. As cliche as it is, until we get more definitive research, diet sodas are an "n=1" thing.
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @kirkor Not meaning to sound ignorant, but I'm only on my first week of keto, so what is n=1?
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The subject size of the "experiment" is 1, meaning you. You are your own experiment.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it's not optimal but maybe you can work on kicking that habit later on if you're feeling like it's too much at once.
    For me, feeling like I 'need' something means it is a problem. If I feel like I just don't know how I could give it up, means I should. I say that because in my own experience it felt like an addiction. Something mental but possibly driven by something chemical. I don't know, but going without for long enough time seems to make that feeling go away.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think it's not optimal but maybe you can work on kicking that habit later on if you're feeling like it's too much at once.
    For me, feeling like I 'need' something means it is a problem. If I feel like I just don't know how I could give it up, means I should. I say that because in my own experience it felt like an addiction. Something mental but possibly driven by something chemical. I don't know, but going without for long enough time seems to make that feeling go away.

This mirrors my experience when talking about a food.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's not wrong, if you can drink it (like I do) And not get crazy cravings, then go for it. It's a nice treat to be able to have. Zevia is a pop sweetened with stevia if you want something without aspartame.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My response is not related to "spiking insulin" as posed in the OP since I have never monitored insulin/BG...I lost all my weight/fat just just fine drinking what most would consider highly excessive amounts of "diet drinks". I quit the "artificial sweeteners" in maintenance for about 9 months and didn't notice any differences in cravings/weight, etc.

Everyone is a bit different. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary, your experience might be different).
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Diet pop tends to cause cravings for me. I do enjoy a diet pepsi once in a while, but I can't do them too often. Next thing I know I'm scarfing down some M&M's!! All you can do is experiment and see how it affects you!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Diet pop tends to cause cravings for me. I do enjoy a diet pepsi once in a while, but I can't do them too often. Next thing I know I'm scarfing down some M&M's!! All you can do is experiment and see how it affects you!

Pretty much this. They are perfectly fine in and of themselves. However, if they cause you to eat something that you otherwise wouldn't, they can be a problem.

I have personally consumed several liters of aspertame infused drinks (Clear American, the Wal-Mart flavored water, Green Apple is *kitten* amazing) every day for years, to no ill-effect. Before that it was Coke Zero, but it got to be a bit expensive in the quantity that I was drinking it.
  • Makingmyselfover
    Makingmyselfover Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to you all!!!
    I am never been a big soda drinker but since I am in holidays, it is sooooo hot and I can't drink wine or beer I thought to try it. For me is cold and feel me up ( i am starting now the diet) so kind of kelp me. So i would see how it goes :)