Keto & exercise question

Options
JustJeff1977
JustJeff1977 Posts: 27 Member
Hi!

Does exercise have any effect on the amount of carbs you can consume? I'm thinking immediate exercise would consume any glucose in the blood right? Would that matter? No one seems to account for it so I'm guessing the answer is no.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    This is very individual. My suggestion if you want to know for sure is to buy a glucometer and experiment with timing, amount and type of carb.

Metabolically healthy people and those who are very active can get away with more. Timing still varies though. There are a growing number of high endurance athletes who are keto and do so with more than 100 g of carbs a day because of activity level.

Zach Bitter is one who has his own blog if you want to check it out.
  • JustJeff1977
    JustJeff1977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OK thanks.. That sounds more like a yes then.. I'll have to look more into it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As a former CKD/TKD user, I can say for certain that it does. Hell, just have a look at ketogains on reddit, and you'll see all kinds of anecdotes of people having better training with pre-workout carbohydrate. The body tries to burn off excess glucose first, assuming healthy metabolic function.

It's why I absolutely could not sit still during my carb refeed days, if I overdid it. As soon as my glycogen is restored, my system hits "okay *kitten*, tank's full, time to burn something" mode.