What's the deal???

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
I don't know why I'm stalling this week :/ I do keto and I.F. one meal a day. I haven't had much of an appetite lately so I don't eat much. I stay below 20 carbs and 1200 calories, lately as low as 500 because of stress killing my appetite. I do eat a keto icecream almost every day tho. About 90 calories and 4-7 net carbs. Could that be the problem? Is stress causing a stall even though I'm not eating too much? I haven't been doing this long enough for a stall, I still have 50+ to lose :-( I'm 28 if that matters. And my diary is open

Replies

• KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Stress can definitely be a factor. When it comes to getting healthy, it's sleep, diet, then exercise. In that exact order. What is the sweetener in the icecream. What brand is it?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above.
    Also, if you're only eating as much as 500 calories some days and about 90 of that is a keto ice cream, I suspect a nutrient deficiency.
    You can't lose weight while you're severely nutrient deficient.
    Prioritize more nutrient dense foods if your hunger and calorie intake is low.
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/11/why-not-losing-weight-1.html?m=1
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep.... Sleep, diet, exercise - and patience & kindness to yourself. That will help you with the stress and the rest will follow. Priorities=You. Keto on.
  • cgcrutch
    Options
    The sweetener is erythritol, brand name Enlightened. I take supplements every day, I cycle thru women's one a day, a prenatal, and b-complex. And every day I take sodium, potassium, magnesium, and kelp for iodine
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You need to up your calories. Never eat below 1000 calories. 1200 would be much better. At 500 calories, your body goes into starvation mode. Put your calories back up to 1200 and then do 20 min of power walking to boost your metabolism back up. Each time your body goes into starvation mode, it lowers your metabolism. That is part of why people regain weight after a diet. On fewer calories, they weigh more. Power walking increases your metabolism. It is only 20 min. You can start with 5 mn if need you need to build up to 20 min. Get your metabolism back up. This is your friend talking to you.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there ....it's normal for the body to auto correct. ...
    Stay the course, take whole food supplements and perhaps supplement a little extra fat as needed
    PS thyroid check may be beneficial
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    You need to up your calories. Never eat below 1000 calories. 1200 would be much better. At 500 calories, your body goes into starvation mode. Put your calories back up to 1200 and then do 20 min of power walking to boost your metabolism back up. Each time your body goes into starvation mode, it lowers your metabolism. That is part of why people regain weight after a diet. On fewer calories, they weigh more. Power walking increases your metabolism. It is only 20 min. You can start with 5 mn if need you need to build up to 20 min. Get your metabolism back up. This is your friend talking to you.

Actual s tarvation mode isn't going to happen in a day (or even a couple). In fact, it's been shown that during the first 72 hours of total fasting, the body's processes actually speed up, in an attempt to push you to be able to acquire food.

Power walking does not increase your metabolism (RMR), but it will increase your total expenditure.

The reason that people tend to gain weight after dieting is that they eat too much, too fast. Their hunger signals are all jacked up due to extended deficits. I frequently run extremely hard cuts thay result in me peeling 10-13 lbs. in a couple of weeks. I do not gain this back rapidly, because I account for the caloric variances when coming back out of said cuts. You can avoid all of the rebound fat nonsense by forced application of some basic math.

+10. All of it.
  • cgcrutch
    Options
    Thx! I wonder why the body can't just use stored fat if it runs on fat anyway. Vitamin deficiency aside, I wonder how long it would take someone with an extra 50 lb of fat to really starve. Assuming hunger isn't a factor.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Thx! I wonder why the body can't just use stored fat if it runs on fat anyway. Vitamin deficiency aside, I wonder how long it would take someone with an extra 50 lb of fat to really starve. Assuming hunger isn't a factor.

I think actual starvation happens only when bodyfat gets down to the essential level. But lots of muscle wasting will be happening along the way.
  • 62apples
    Options
    Maybe you should think of a fun activity or a great friend you have not seen for awhile.
    Go have some fun.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »

I think actual starvation happens only when bodyfat gets down to the essential level. But lots of muscle wasting will be happening along the way.

Pretty much this. There was an interesting hunger/satiety experiment years ago, where all food reward was removed, as people were fed a completely bland liquid, and were told to consume as much as they wanted, whenever hungry. The liquid contained a balanced macro and micronutrient ratio, but essentially tasted like nothing.

There were several people of either lean or extremely obese body comps involved. The lean people ended up consuming enough to maintain a stable weight throughout, but the obese consumed so little that their weight plummeted by roughly 27 lbs. in twelve days (144-275 kcals/day). One of them stuck with the machine for 70 days, losing about 70 lbs. in the process.

They had plenty of fat stores to cover survival needs, and because food reward was completely mitigated, their brain wasn't pushing them to eat more when they already had enough energy reserves on deck to cover them.

It's quite extreme, but just shows that your body isn't going to push you to eat when you don't need energy, assuming that you consume calories that have no extra benefits (taste, texture, etc.), and that you're not going to starve when you have massive fat stores on deck, no matter how little you eat.
  • 62apples
    Options
    Also, the parasites are NOT pushing for more of that food. Parasites like sugar and red meat. Parasites create most of one's cravings and most of the food allergies.