Check-in: Accident Proof

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
For those of you participating in this week's challenge, how is it going for you? Have you found a few areas in your home that could be made safer?

Replies

• pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I live in a second story condo- so going up and down the stairs carrying lots of stuff is probably the most risky. Checking all the light bulbs to make sure everything is well lit!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to do this today. Heading downstairs to our basement which is a huge mess and I'm sure I will find a ton of stuff that is not safe for the grandkids! Also going to look into getting another handrail for the basement stairs since that has bothered me since we moved into this house. Also looking for overloaded outlets and counting how many I need to move. Thanks for this tip. I think of it sometimes and never take the time to do anything about it.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Yes, so far so good.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So far I think my house is accident free except I need to pay attentions to the cats who seem to have developed a habit of running just ahead of me when I am walking thru a room. Have to watch out for them.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My most difficult thing at the moment is that my little dog gets nearly underfoot more often than not nowadays. The older I get means I have to always know exactly where she is at when she is on a mission to go out, or do or get something. I've already tripped over her, and suffered a minor wrist fracture earlier last year.

I read the resources... there was some good information in them. Thank you, as always, for finding them for us.

While reading them I made some notes of several things to look into. For instance, I'm now considering installing grab rails in the bathroom before they are actually needed, since I'm not getting any younger :o

Denise, thanks for another good challenge <3 .

:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    @texasgardnr and @Ming1951, pets really are a hazard. I suppose you should train them to stay out from underfoot. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. :).

There are lots of things I can do to improve the safety of my home. I ordered a new non-slip tub mat. The one we have now is so uncomfortable underfoot that my husband won't use it even though he complains about the slippery hair care products the long-haired ladies in the house use. We also need to replace our carpeting and install grab bars.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    So far I think my house is accident free except I need to pay attentions to the cats who seem to have developed a habit of running just ahead of me when I am walking thru a room. Have to watch out for them.

Some "accidents" are hard to plan for, @Ming1951.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Pets sure can be an additional hazard. I have big dogs...two German Shepherds. Particularly now as I'm recovering from hip surgery and not very stable on my feet, they brush up against me and it can throw me off kilter. And my floors become an obstacle course of bones, balls, and chew toys. I spend a fair amount of time keeping the floors picked up.

Thank you for participating in this week's challenge. Safety is generally under appreciated until an accident happens.