Keto Newb - Lookinh for support

Options
Hi All,

I'm new to Keto and really looking forward to giving it a good bash.

Has anyone got any hints/tips/essentials or secrets to getting the best out of it?

Really want to do this right!

My diary is open, any criticisms for day one is welcomed as I'm feeling a bit lost

Also anyone wants to add me as a friend feel free.

Thanks

Teri x

P.S I'm uk based

Replies

• debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @myketojourney87 welcome. I wish you well in your journey. I'm a newbie myself so I don't have a lot of advice to offer but there are some knowledgeable people here that are willing to help. You can look at my diary too if you'd like.
  • vilaura
    vilaura Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started Keto on August 1st and so far so good. You can do it! Feel free to add me.
  • mlcase61
    mlcase61 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Make good food that you enjoy. There are delish low carb recipes. Cook up several days of food at a time. Take your food with you everywhere. That way you if you are hungry you have access to quick food. Watch out for protein bars. Some have a lot of carbs. I hope you enjoy the journey.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Be sure to read all the good info at the LCHF Launchpad: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

I'd recommend some pickle juice on hand as well as olives, bouillon cubes, a jar of anchovies, etc, anything that you can go to for a fast SODIUM increase because you'll need to make sure you keep your sodium levels up. When I make bacon I always make extra and freeze some for those times when I need a quick, yummy increase in sodium. Good luck. :)

Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open to all friends.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Read, read, read everything you can. This woe seems difficult at first. It's so different from everything we've ever been told about healthy eating! But it becomes the easiest, and most delicious, woe!!

Finding your balance is the key to success! Low carb is a wide range in carb levels. 150gm or less is considered low carb and many can succeed there. Others find that ketogenic levels (50gm, or less) work best for them.

Keeping your sodium intake up is very important! I use pickle juice, and sodium tablets for this. Magnesium is also a vital supplement for electrolyte balance. I use magnesium citrate tablets two times a day. If I don't the leg cramps will be terrible! Ketones are excreted via the urine, and they take sodium, and magnesium, with them! This leads to an electrolyte Imbalance that causes you to feel faint, weak, jittery..... Replacing what you're losing is so important, and shouldn't be ignored. These symptoms can be avoided by keeping sodium levels up!

I'm always open to more friends! Best of luck!!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,595 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Feel free to add me if you want. The diary is open to friends. I am not one of those guys who will send you creepy messages.

"Creepy" as in, "you can have all the ice cream you want. It doesn't count as food" or "you don't need to bathe if you follow this diet" ? ;)

Haha - maybe I should have been more clear. Someone on my friends list was venting the other day about guys who friend you and then start sending somewhat personal "creepy" messages. I just wanted to make clear I was here for the LCHF and the associated support.
  • Phanny24
    Phanny24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello @Karlottap ! I'm new to Keto too and was wondering how many mg of magnesium do you take?
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started at the end of April and am down 50 lbs. absolutely love this WOE. (P.S., adding you!)
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really like having premium so I can track my grams not percentages. It makes it much easier. I set my protein to 90 grams. Carb 20gram is the usual induction (I do more because I am breastfeeding) and then the rest of your calories via fat. Set your preferences to show fiber in your daily diary totals if you are doing net carbs. Drink lots of water. Chicken broth can often save the day and get ready to feel fabulous soon.
  • Shaydayglam
    Shaydayglam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Everyone please add me I am new and need support on Lchf lifestyle