For Low-Carb Skeptics - Leading Expert Explains How Low-Carb Can Control Type 2 Diabetes

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Here's a recent video by low-carb researcher and author, Prof. Jeff Volek (Ohio State), who has been doing research on low-carb diets for over 2 decades. He's a stick-to-the-facts speaker, no miracles and nothing to sell (other than knowledge).

THE POWER OF KETOGENIC DIETS TO REVERSE TYPE 2 DIABETES
https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-43/
(Contains links to podcast, research and background info.)

Replies

• RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Here's a recent video by low-carb researcher and author, Prof. Jeff Volek (Ohio State), who has been doing research on low-carb diets for over 2 decades. He's a stick-to-the-facts speaker, no miracles and nothing to sell (other than knowledge).

THE POWER OF KETOGENIC DIETS TO REVERSE TYPE 2 DIABETES
    https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-43/
    (Contains links to podcast, research and background info.)

Here's the YouTube version:

https://youtu.be/lobEiSgjb9Q
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I watch this later.
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Almost everything I eat is a carb to some degree. I don't consume any animal products (meat or dairy of any kind) and keep my processed foods and oils to a minimum (that includes vegan junk foods.) since the diet switch, my numbers have been steadily been returning to "normal."
  • Hollygoheavily
    Hollygoheavily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've put my T2 into remission by eating LCHF. a1c recently was 5
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've put my T2 into remission by eating LCHF. a1c recently was 5

Were you on metformin initially? When/how did you go off that?
  • Hollygoheavily
    Hollygoheavily Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I was never on any drugs. I refused. I started low carb and IF immediately upon diagnosis. That was exactly 9 months ago today. I've now lost 116lbs and my A1c is now 30, which is 4 point something in US measurements. My doctor is stunned!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I was never on any drugs. I refused. I started low carb and IF immediately upon diagnosis. That was exactly 9 months ago today. I've now lost 116lbs and my A1c is now 30, which is 4 point something in US measurements. My doctor is stunned!

Way to go! Great story.

Just out of curiosity, what led you to Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

This is something more T2 diabetics should hear. There is hope with diet and weight loss to completely get control of it. I am working on things myself, but I don't have your progress. I intend to get there is I can.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Wow. Amazing progress. And it only 9 months?! Congrats!