Which Books, Articles, Podcasts, etc. do You Recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Book: The Hungry Brain by Stephan Guyenet. It's the best written thing I have ever seen that intertwines neuroscience, nutrition and overeating. For anyone who wants a plain term (yet in-depth) explanation on why the brain is a damned dirty liar when it comes to food intake, it's crucial reading.

A screencap from the ebook that might rustle some jimmies here, but is factual nonetheless:
    p6gc2ipbdjo7.png

Podcast: Sigma Nutrition Radio. Danny has had the best minds in nutrition and fitness from every field on his show, including Lyle McDonald, Guyenet, and a whole host of people that most laypeople have never heard of.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    you had me at blonde and topless...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    The Miraculous Results Of Extremely High Doses Of The Sunshine Hormone Vitamin D3 by Bowles, Jeff T.

I read the e-book version last night. Normally it is $2.99 but was free since the hard copy is to be here today that cost about $11 that I want to loan to a person. I recommend the e version because it is updated from time to time.

Read the reviews on Amazon and you will hear love/hate reviews. I liked the rambling style and it helped me realize my weight/health recovery only started when I started working my Vit D level and it started to approach 100 ng.

He talks about the balance between D, K2, magnesium and calcium as being critical to preventing/reversing most of the diseases we read about on MFP.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm listening to Gary Taubes "The Case Against Sugar". The history of the increase in sugar amazed me. And the whole hooking up with the tobacco industry? Holy hell they're shady effers. I'm not a conspiracy theorist (and not saying he is) but it's really interesting how everyone fights so hard to make sugar out to be the amazing good guy that it isn't. Especially on other reading areas.

It's a short listen (about 12 hours) so I recommend it if you like to listen to books while working.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    A couple of journal articles I think are interesting:

http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i1246

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707.long

They went back and looked at the raw data from old diet studies and found that low and behold replacing animal fats with safflower oil (high in the same omega 6 fats as corn oil and other veg oils), not only did not lower mortality, but actually raised it despite lowering blood cholesterol.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Anything that includes the following people are generally my interests:
    Lyle McDonald
    Alan Aragon
    Chris Masterjohn
    Danny Lennon
    Bill Lagakos
    Robb Wolf
    Stephan Guyenet
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are ok with dry scientific stuff and can find it, took me a decade to get a copy - The History of a Crime Against the Food Law by Harvey Wiley. It's not a diet book, but a very good study regarding food preservatives that were tested and found to be harmful as well as a very disturbing look at how the food industry managed to get them approved as safe for human consumption despite the actual evidence. The events of the book were pre-FDA, but the process is still basically the same, so no wonder the government issues food recommendations that are not really healthy because it clearly never was about real science.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you are ok with dry scientific stuff and can find it, took me a decade to get a copy - The History of a Crime Against the Food Law by Harvey Wiley. It's not a diet book, but a very good study regarding food preservatives that were tested and found to be harmful as well as a very disturbing look at how the food industry managed to get them approved as safe for human consumption despite the actual evidence. The events of the book were pre-FDA, but the process is still basically the same, so no wonder the government issues food recommendations that are not really healthy because it clearly never was about real science.

That's a new one - thanks for the ref!