glucometers - no LC content

2t9nty
2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
When I went to the pharamacy after my diagnosis, they sold me a OneTouch Ultramini. I have used this with OneTouch test strips, but the cost for them is very high. I have now been through 50 Equate strips ($13.99) and almost 50 of the GenUltimate strips ($9.99). The Equate strips with the new code seemed to get identical readings to the OneTouch. The GenUltimate (new code again) seemed to read high with more variability when compared back to back. I won't get the GenUltimate again.

What do more experienced testers recommend? It looks as if a Relion Prime has test strips for $9 per 50.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    I like the Bayer Contour Next EZ, which is highly rated by Consumer Reports for accuracy and repeatability. I got 3 on promo for $10 each last year.

You can get batches of soon-expiring Contour Next strips on eBay from time to time for around $10 for 100.

Finally, double check the fine print in your insurance benefit book for coverage for diabetic testing supplies.

PS. Don't get the plain Contour - it's not in the same league as the Contour Next, but it's no cheaper. :s
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    I have one that connects to my iPhone. It a little pricy but I like it. $30-40 for the device $12 for strips - I think that's about right.

(ogchnfde3xig.jpg

I can have the strips sent in my monthly subscriptions from Amazon.
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    I wouldn't call myself an experienced tester but I went with the Relion. Chris Kresser recommended it.
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call myself an experienced tester but I went with the Relion. Chris Kresser recommended it.

Relion is a solid choice. I believe Kresser's recommendations predated the latest generation of Freestyle & Bayer meters, though.
  • 2t9nty
    I went to Walmart to pick up more Equate strips while I pondered all this.

The online price to pick up the strips at the store was $13.99. To walk into the pharmacy section and buy 50 strips was $19.98. I bought a Relion meter and 50 strips for the cost of the Equate strips. I have used it once, and my BG was 110 an hour after some coffee w/coconut oil and an ounce of peanuts. I do think the OneTouch was reading high with the GenUltimate strips. 110 is the lowest reading of any of the readings I have seen since Jan 16.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    My daughter uses Bayer Contour Next as well. We get 300 strips per month through insurance for $50 and she doesn't use them that fast so I really only fill the rx every 2 months or so.
    She's always found it to be accurate. Even using different ones since she's T1D, she has several meters so to never get caught without one.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    My old doc prescribed the one which was free but the strips were ridiculous expensive, so I bought a freestyle that seemed to give the same results. However when I got my next 2 A1c results, I was shocked at how high they were based on the readings I had been getting. I then bought the relion prime which gave me readings of 10-12 points higher, which made much more sense based on my A1c results. After a few months using it (actually have 2-1 at work and 1 at home), my last A1c was right in line with expectations from those readings. Between that and the fact it is the cheapest to use, I'm sticking with it.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Patti2008 wrote: »

Relion is a solid choice.
    I believe Kresser's recommendations predated the latest generation of Freestyle & Bayer meters, though.

I'd better walk this part back.

Jenny Ruhl's book, Blood Sugar 101, explains that Walmart switches the manufacturer of Relion meters from time to time, so whatever Chris Kresser's or CR's opinion of them was years ago, it probably shouldn't guide your purchase today...

I'm still using Bayer Contour Next EZ - cheap meter, cheap strips (if you keep your eyes peeled), very consistent results across the 3 identical meters I use, and levels close to lab values. My last batch ran about $.10/strip.
  • cstehansen
    I am currently using the Relion primarily because I got so irritated at my A1c results 2 tests ago. Using the readings from my Freestyle, I was expecting a much lower result - like nearly a full point. The results from all 3 of the Relions were very much in line with what the A1c showed.

Yes, I bought 3. Initially, I bought 1 and thought it was out of whack because the readings were so much higher than I was getting on both of my Freestyles (one at home and one at work). They are cheap enough that I thought I would buy a second one just to see if it was consistent with the first, which it was. Then, I even bought the 3rd which was consistent with the first 2.

Then when I got my A1c results back and saw how, using the online calculators, it matched almost dead on with what I was getting on the Relion, I stopped using the Freestyles all together.

I have to say I am not upset that the cheapest model with the cheapest strips available in a local store seemed to be the most accurate. I am assuming @RalfLott is getting the meter and strips online or it is a regional thing because I have not seen that model anywhere locally. Unfortunately, I tend to wait until the last minute, so swinging by the Walmart on my way home from work to get more strips is a much better option for me.
  • RalfLott
    Cool. That means the current batch of Relions is a great value. Do yours disclose a manufacturer?

The Bayer Contour Next meters are common in the great, unwashed Midwest. Strips are best online - eBay and Amazon have soon-expiring lots of 'em for pretty cheap.

(I also have a Precision Xtra meter for blood ketones. It also tests BG, but the glucose strips are laughably $$$.)
  • cstehansen
    If manufacturer was listed, it may have been on the box. It isn't on the unit itself.
  • 2t9nty
    edited March 2017
    FWIW mine says "Made In Philippines" on the back.
  • cstehansen
    2t9nty wrote: »
    FWIW mine says "Made In Philippines" on the back.

Mine as well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Wow! Looks like the strips are dirt cheap for you guys south of us. I had to pay $89 for 100 for my meter. Freestyle Precision Neo. Even going on eBay to order strips ends up being close to that price by the time I do currency exchange and exorbitant shipping costs. Meters are pretty well free up here though. Technically they charge around 30-50 bucks at the pharmacies but there are always coupons floating around for free ones.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    I use the One touch strips because my insurance covers them and then my employer covers the copay. I've noticed for some time that my FBG on my monitor seems a good bit higher than when I'm tested at the doctor's office. I realize there will be some differences but it seems like it should be a bit closer in range. Maybe I should try some different strips and see.
  • RalfLott
    I use the One touch strips because my insurance covers them and then my employer covers the copay. I've noticed for some time that my FBG on my monitor seems a good bit higher than when I'm tested at the doctor's office. I realize there will be some differences but it seems like it should be a bit closer in range. Maybe I should try some different strips and see.

Consumer Reports reviewed glucose monitors not long ago. You might need a paid subscription to access it, but here's the URL:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/products/blood-glucose-meter/ratings-overview/

There were significant differences between the better and worse meters. If you want to give me the specific One Touch model, happy to check the review.
  • RalfLott
    FYI, here's a video from Dr. William Davis (UnDoctored) on how to use a glucose meter.

https://youtu.be/PnIXx7Rvelk
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    My Dr office took my mini earlier this year and said it had been known to give false highs/lows. They replaced it with another One Touch.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member

There were significant differences between the better and worse meters. If you want to give me the specific One Touch model, happy to check the review.

@RalfLott t If the offer still stands, I would love to know what they say about the One Touch VerioIQ. I had a fasting BG reading earlier this week of 110 (as expected), but two hours later after coffee and 1 Tbsp. HWC (no sweetener) the reading was 136. I don't see how that could be possible.

• RalfLott
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

@RalfLott t If the offer still stands, I would love to know what they say about the One Touch VerioIQ. I had a fasting BG reading earlier this week of 110 (as expected), but two hours later after coffee and 1 Tbsp. HWC (no sweetener) the reading was 136. I don't see how that could be possible.

You Betcha! I'll have a look.

Dairy affects folks in different ways... as do many other things (meds, circadian rhythms, sleep, stress / dirty thoughts >:) /anything else that affects cortisol HGH, etc...)