Low Carb Lilly's chocolate

Options
san814
san814 Posts: 22 Member
Can someone please tell me why this 80 gram chocolate bar still has 38 grams of carbs in it!!!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If I am remembering the label correctly from what was posted. The bar has 2 servings so for the bar it is:

19 total carbs x 2 = 38 total carbs.
    minus 8 grams of fiber x 2 = 16 fiber grams
    minus 8 x2 grams of Erythritol (sugar alcohol) = 16 grams

38-16-16=6 NET carbs.

Some folks go with TOTAL carbs when counting. Some folks count NET carbs. Me? I'm a total carb person. It's just a choice. I have fiber listed on my food diary but pay little attention to it. No need to based on my personal food choices and total carb allowance.
  • san814
    san814 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If I am remembering the label correctly from what was posted. The bar has 2 servings so for the bar it is:

38-16-16=6 NET carbs.

Some folks go with TOTAL carbs when counting. Some folks count NET carbs. Me? I'm a total carb person. It's just a choice. I have fiber listed on my food diary but pay little attention to it. No need to based on my personal food choices and total carb allowance.

38-16-16=6 NET carbs.

I also am a whole carb counter. Also I was just looking for fiber this morning lol. My fiber pill is 2 carbs! I know it's not a lot but I stay under 20 a day so that's one of my snacks lol
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, many people (including moi) look at Erythritol <3 as perhaps the most harmless of the sugar alcohols. It doesn't tend to raise blood sugar and does not share the spectacular laxative tendencies :s of some of its cousins.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    World market has a 99% chocolate bar that has more fiber ham carbs!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I eat Lily's bars and record the net carbs :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Erythritol is one of the sugar alcohols with which most can get away subtracting them all. Xylitol as well. The rest you should only subtract half.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Erythritol is one of the sugar alcohols with which most can get away subtracting them all. Xylitol as well. The rest you should only subtract half.

Since first reading the suggestion here many moons ago, I have used that sensible rule. Perhaps as a consequence (with some credit due the aforementioned GI fireworks produced by sorbitol and its kin), I pretty much stick to stevia and erythritol. So finding Lilly's was B)!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I eat the 100% Cocoa bars like candy after being off sugar for 3 years.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's impressive!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I found this interesting so while at the store bought a bar of good ol' common Baker' s 100% Chocolate and tried a square. Not bad. Surprised me!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

I found this interesting so while at the store bought a bar of good ol' common Baker' s 100% Chocolate and tried a square. Not bad. Surprised me!

LCHF rebuilts our taste buds I have read. :)