Which lab tests do I request?

Options
I have a physical on Wednesday. I've been LC for nearly 3 years without issue and great bloodwork a year ago. And by great, I mean awesome!

For the past little while, I've been lethargic, exhausted, cold all the time, brain fogged and my hands and feet are tingly. I am guessing that my thyroid is out of whack. Hence the reason I made the appointment.

Now I know you guys have all the intel on which specific tests to request and why. Please remind my foggy brain. I did stop all of my supplements (probiotic, biotin, super B compkex, multi vitamin, fish oil) two weeks ago so that I get accurate results.

Thanks for your help, this group is so knowledgeable and I'm grateful to be able to tap into that when needed.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For thyroid I would ask for TSH (you want near a 1), free T3 and free T4 (in the 50-75% portion of the normal range - try to avoid T4, T3, total T4 and total T3 as they aren't as useful), TPO antibodies, and possibly reverse T3. There's one other antibodie test I can't remember.

If you think it is autoimmune you could ask for hsCRP or even an ANA test.

B12, RBC and D might tell you something too.

I'm sure others who know much more will chime in. Good luck on the tests! :)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks @nvmomketo, I'm making a list, appreciate the help.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn below is the lab I use when I want my own set of results. There are other options out there and I am only sharing this link as info for your question.

You can click to the test of your choice then learn the details of that test or battery of tests plus see a sample report with detailed norms expected. Understanding what to test and how to read the reports come over time. Testing is even more important when stacking supplements like some do.

The source lab above is actually LabCorp. Life Extention runs half price sales once or twice a year and that is often when I purchase for future use.

lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests/Blood-Tests
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How old are you? :)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Post menopausal and within 15-20lbs of normal weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bump