Options
san814
san814 Posts: 22 Member
How would I ever know when I'm in it?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Some folks can smell the acetone in their breath (or have a friend or loved one tell them...) or sometimes you can smell the acetoacetate in your urine.

You can buy ketostix at the pharmacy and dip those in urine, they will detect the presence of acetoacetate. This is not always effective, for some (many?) people they eventually stop registering on the urine test because their bodies become more efficient and don't waste the ketones.

There are breath tests you can use, I don't have a link handy but there are some cheap breathilyzers meant for detecting alcohol, which also detect acetone.

And there are blood meters, similar to the glucuse meters, where you use a test strip and a finger-prick of blood, to measure the beta-hydroxybutyrate in your blood.

Personally I use the ketostix - they're cheap and easy to get, and they work for me. I tried a breath meter but found it wasn't very effective for me. I gave it to my sister and it works great for her, while the ketostix never worked at all for her.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do 3 days at 20g total carbs and you will be.

I was going to say something along these lines too. If you eat low enough carb, for most it is under 20-50g per day, you will be in fairly deep ketosis. Even if you eat 100-150g of carbs per day the chances are that you'll be in mild ketosis at least some of the time.
  • san814
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you comments. I don't notice a smell to my urine or breath. But I have been for sure under 20 for 17 days now.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Under 20 for 17 days would certainly have you in ketosis! Unless you're eating foods with artificial sweeteners or hidden sugars, you can pretty much bank on it :)
    I don't test my breath, blood or urine; I just stick as close to 20g net carbs/day as possible. That alone nearly ensures ketosis.
  • sas1uk
    sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I itch like hell!!! :o:D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    san814 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for you comments. I don't notice a smell to my urine or breath. But I have been for sure under 20 for 17 days now.

Welcome to ketoland!
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Do sweeteners prevent ketosis?
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Some sweeteners can cause reactions in some people, including kicking them out of ketosis. The 2 Keto Dudes did an episode about them: 2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=7
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Do sweeteners prevent ketosis?

Some sweeteners have fillers like dextrin or dextrose which are starches (basically chains of sugars). If it ends in "in" or "ose" it's carbs or sugar.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can prevent to too
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

It may temporarily reduce blood ketones but not in the same way carbs do. It's certainly not a reason to restrict protein if you're keto for weight loss and not as treatment for epilepsy or something.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html?m=1
  • san814
    Options
    How do you calculate how much protein you should eat in one day?

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    san814 wrote: »
    How do you calculate how much protein you should eat in one day?

Typically you can determine your minimum protein need by calculating 0.8g per pound of lean body mass. Or you can go with the more generous and super easy advice of Chris Masterjohn and have 1g per pound of ideal body weight. Why you would weigh if you had a totally ideal bmi.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time eating enough protein and fat as I am too full. I am at the end of day two. Keeping under 1600 calories with 5% Carbs/30% Protein/65% fat. Also, is it normal to pee like a horse on day two? I assume I am losing excess water naturally. Just didn't expect it to happen so soon!
  • in_faith
    in_faith Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What Steph_Maks said.. re: strips (Walgreens) and bad urine smell.. plus.. not to be gross but my armpits get a peculiar embarrassing odor and it's strong.. only when I'm keto adapting.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I am having a hard time eating enough protein and fat as I am too full. I am at the end of day two. Keeping under 1600 calories with 5% Carbs/30% Protein/65% fat. Also, is it normal to pee like a horse on day two? I assume I am losing excess water naturally. Just didn't expect it to happen so soon!

An easy way for me to add protein was some protein powder in my coffee. I add it to all baking too.

Make sure your sodium is between 3000-5000+ mg per day. With all that water weight, you are also losing electrolytes. All normal. :) If you get fatigued, headaches, nausea, brain fog or muscle aches then you know you need more sodium. If you leave it too long you may need potassium and magnesium too.

For reference, there is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I tend to overdo salt so I am probably okay. I felt great today and so far have about 12000 steps in. I am not a big sweet eater but I do love crackers, chips, bread, and all the beans and starchy vegetables. Haven't really missed anything too much yet but am prepared with some low carb substitutes. I made zucchini/parmesan chips yesterday and they were great with some guacamole.