Protein Tips

cinblog1965
cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
I've changed my exercise level to moderate now that I'm exercising more and trying to increase my strength. With a 15% cut I am at 1794 calories now. I'm having a hard time hitting my protein goal. I don't want to increase the chemicals (protein powder and bars) any more than I already have (a Zone Perfect bar for a snack and Quest protein powder mixed with milk in my coffee). I eat eggs or Kodiak pancakes with a scoop of protein powder most mornings. I have some sort of chicken most lunches and lean steak, lean burgers or chicken for dinner. Any suggestions for variances? I don't want to get burned out! Full disclosure I despise yogurt of all kinds and I'm lactose intolerant anyway so I can't eat much dairy.

P.S. I know I saw an article or post somewhere before on this, but haven't been able to find it now that I need it.

Replies

• Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    If you enjoy fish, tuna and salmon have some very high protein and healthy fats in them.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Legumes: hummus, black beans, kidney beans, peanut butter, quinoa, almonds
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I was comming here just to ask this question! Especially plant based protein options. I'm a meat eater, but even I have my limits and can only eat to much meat at one time. I can't have any artificial sweeteners, including stevia so it really limits me. I will consume agave, but try to keep that to only once a week or less. Im sure I'll never hit my protein goal but I'd like to be closer.
  • cinblog1965
    @tripleJ3 same here, I love meat, but I'm getting burned out. @Acidique good suggestions, thank you! I see some black bean, cheese and salsa pizzas on corn tortillas in my future. And I forgot about peanut butter, how did that happen?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Peanut butter is tough because it's a high fat food that happens to have some protein in it - carbs too for that matter.
    It'll add up quick without providing much extra in the way of protein usually, though if low fat other stuff, it could top off that macro easily.
  • cinblog1965
    @heybales I'm in luck on peanut butter, I like the powdered PB2 just fine which doesn't have much fat. I may have to check into quinnoa too. I know it has protein.
  • TripleJ3
    I bought some lentil pasta today. One 2 oz serving is 14g of protein. I've had lentil and chickpea pasta before in the past but guess I never paid much attention to the protein content. So that should give meals a good boost and a change of pace anyway.
  • cinblog1965
    @TripleJ3 I will have to check out the pastas! I never thought to look at that.
  • TripleJ3
    @cinblog1965 obviously the texture isnt the same as regular pasta, a tad on the gummy side. But textures don't bother me and I just added a little olive oil to the finished pasta and that helped. I don't mind it but I'm not very picky at all so depending on where you land on the texture and new foods spectrum...just keep an open mind, lol
  • cinblog1965
    @tripleJ3 I'm a texture person more than taste, but I've eaten the sherataki noodles and as long as I've rinsed the heck out of them and eaten them in something they don't bother me at all. I am a true foodie and will try anything!
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Nutritional yeast 8g per 1.5 Tablespoon, wasabi peas, high calorie though, collagen 2 T has 11 g. I like the yeast and collagen because you can put it in or on lots of things. Oh also jello!
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    I've sipped on a cup of turkey bone broth which has about 9g of protein and very little calories.
  • crankyme
    crankyme Posts: 6 Member
    Fantastic tip about Nutritional yeast. I have a whole container of it and never knew it had any protein. Good bang for your buck calories wise too. Only 70 cal and 8g protein per 1.5 tbsp.