Negative Food entry to adjust nutrition @ Restaurants?

Options
RhiannonBecks
RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Hey all, I have searched for this and there were a few posts in the general forums, but no real clear cut answer!

So what I am wondering is, when going out to eat, I know I obviously cant weigh my food, so being precise is not going to happen. I do strive the best though to log as accurately as possible, and pre plan my meals so I know what wiggle room I have etc.

I am going to a steakhouse tonight that we often visit, I know I will get the steak, a side salad, and then I just had a friend tell me about ordering "loaded" broccoli instead of the loaded baked potato they have.

So--how in the heck do I log that? It would basically be their steamed broccoli + shredded cheese + bacon. Would it be best to just add the loaded baked potato, then enter separately (-1) plain potato, and add 1 order of steamed broccoli? Assuming that adding the -1 potato will adjust accordingly?

Does any of that make sense? I know, it's one meal, it wont kill me, but for my own sake, I am trying to be as precise as I can. I will enjoy the meal knowing I made smart choice (AKA, not eating 3 hot, warm, buttery dinner rolls, lol). But I would still like to log if possible!?

Anyone out there utilize the negative food entries?

TIA. :)

Edit: oops, Grammar.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd just enter broccoli, cheese, bacon and not worry about it. I've not used negative entries. I'll have to play with that and see how it works. Is it's general use for something like you suggested above-a serving of something premade minus an ingredient?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    unless I can find nutrition information specific to that restaurant (like an entry for loaded broccoli at Joe's Steak World) then I would just make my best guess at the ingredients and enter them separately...1 cup steamed broccoli, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup butter, etc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've used the negative number thing, and it works really well. As mentioned above, you'll want to use restaurant specific data if possible, but yes, absolutely, you can do this. I've done it when I saved an extensive recipe or meal, and tweaked an ingredient the next time I've made it - or ordered a ready made burger from a place and ditched the bun, etc. (I was shocked at how many carbs are in a Braum's bun as opposed to a basic, run-of-the-mill bun....)
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss , great! Thank you for the insight, I wasn't sure if anyone had done this before. I tried it out just a bit ago to see if it would adjust accordingly, and it appears so based on comparing those numbers to the website. Good to know for future, vs creating an entire new specific meal!

Thanks all for your input & responses.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate your commitment to this level of detail, but also keep in mind that the data is still going to be a ballpark guess even if you are totally accurate in your logging, because of the way restaurants kitchens function. i.e. different ingredients than what was used to generate the published data, different prep and cooks depending on the night you go, etc. Since you mention that this is a steakhouse you often visit, I'd probably overestimate calories by 15%.
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I can appreciate your commitment to this level of detail, but also keep in mind that the data is still going to be a ballpark guess even if you are totally accurate in your logging, because of the way restaurants kitchens function. i.e. different ingredients than what was used to generate the published data, different prep and cooks depending on the night you go, etc. Since you mention that this is a steakhouse you often visit, I'd probably overestimate calories by 15%.

I don't know if I've broken down % on overestimating, but I do tend make sure I allow more room for error on the days we do go out to eat. I guess we don't visit OFTEN per say, but if we do go out to eat, it is typically here as it is an easy place that Keto/non Keto eaters can enjoy. :) Thanks for the info, will def keep that in mind on the days we go!