Anyone using exogenous ketones?

Options
KetosisTina
KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
Currently I am trying the ones from Ketond.. Tiger's Blood flavor. This brand has no carbs and taste pretty good.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No benefit for weight loss but for mental clarity or athletic performance it might be a good idea. Though I think a high C8 MCT oil is probably just as good and cheaper.
  • jrgriffin82
    jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what does tigers blood taste like?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Tiger's Blood is a snocone/candy flavor that is typically strawberry, coconut, and watermelon and/or cherry. So it's a fruity coconut type of flavor, @jrgriffin82 though I bet Mr. Sheen would probably tell us something different. ;)

I agree that there's no major health benefit to using exogenous ketones (have studied it extensively). It doesn't help achieve ketosis faster, or keep one in keto... There is proof that using MCT is better for that (it's a source of ketones that bypass digestion for usage). www.chrismasterjohnphd.com has a great site that covers some of this.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I do :)
    I like them for the boost of mental clarity and appetite suppressing aspect.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do :)
    I like them for the boost of mental clarity and appetite suppressing aspect.

They suppress appetite because they are an energy source; they have calories (roughly 4.5 per gram).
  • KetosisTina
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss , yep that is pretty much what it taste like (a blend of coconut, watermelon and strawberry) It does seem to help with mental clarity. It has a nice flavor without being Koolaid sweet. Sweetened with a little bit of sucralose. I usual take my morning vitamins with it. It a nice alternative to water.
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    Yep the one that I use has 110 cal but keeps me satisfied for 3-4 hours, which is more sustaining than anything else I can think of that is 110 calories. Works for me!
  • KetosisTina
    Options
    @River_Goddess , hmmm 110 calories. I have 3 brands I have used and range from 24 to 45 calories. Nothing over that. What brand are you using.
  • jrgriffin82
    jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @KetosisTina what brand is the tigers blood?
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    I use the orange flavour of keto OS. The calories mostly come from MCT oil, as it's a ketone/MCT combo.
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use the orange flavour of keto OS. The calories mostly come from MCT oil, as it's a ketone/MCT combo.

I use this flavor as well as the MAX Maui Punch and Raspberry Lemonade. Much lower in calories and tastes amazing. I started using Pruvit products for neurological reasons and have felt great!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I use this flavor as well as the MAX Maui Punch and Raspberry Lemonade. Much lower in calories and tastes amazing. I started using Pruvit products for neurological reasons and have felt great!

I'm interested in your experience if you are open to sharing. Or you can PM me. I ate "a version" of medically therapeutic keto in 2015 for a neurological movement disorder, Spasmodic Torticollis aka Cervical Dystonia. There was NO DOUBT during the 1st few months that my involuntary movement minimized greatly. It is movement that is readily observable to my self and others and it was nearly gone with keto...until it returned. I hadn't gotten "sloppy" with my keto eating but it just stopped working. I later tried using C-8 MCT Oil (Brain Octane brand) as a supplement to hopefully "boost" ketosis but it seemed of no benefit. Bummer.

I still eat very low carb. No longer less than 20 total carbs but less than 50 total daily and am contemplating trialing exogenous ketones. I feel/look like a damn bobblehead some days with involuntary movement though it is not a disorder that gets worse, thank goodness.