Best time to adjust Goals/Macros after weight loss?

Options
RhiannonBecks
RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Hey ya'll, quick question about adjusting macros/Goals, etc when losing. I did search, but still wasn't totally clear- so if I missed a previous solid thread, link me, will you?

I am wondering as you get closer to goal ( I have 27# ish pounds left, I am teetering on that 10# loss daily) if you still need to adjust your macros/goals? I have read for every 5-10# loss you should adjust; however, I wasn't sure if that was for someone who has a significant amount of weight to lose?

Yes, the 27# loss to me seems like a huge feat, but I also understand, at least from what I have read, that as I approach my goal closer, it may be harder to lose etc.

Any insight? Im just wondering in the next few days/week, when I finally hit that 'official' 10# loss, do I check the IIFYM/REDDIT Calculator and re-set my goals?

--I also understand it is all personal choice, just looking for insight, experiences, etc.

Edit to add: In case anyone asks - - 5'10 female, 172.8#, Sed desk job 10+ hours a day, I try to walk around 2-3 miles at least 5 days a week. My current MFP settings are 1295 cals with 5% carbs (though MFP notes that to be 16 grams, I stick to 20 or less), 20% protein (65g) and 75% fat (108 grams).

kthanksss.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My experience: Macros are for health goals/fitness goals/personal preference and compliance to calories (satiation). I have played around a lot with my macros in my 1 year of weight loss and 3+ years of maintenance for the aforementioned reasons.

The difference between weight loss and maintenance, is calories. The only thing I "needed" to adjust to cease losing pounds on the scale, was calories. For me it wasn't much as a 5'6", 140 pound, 60 year old female. I increased calories about 300 since I never had a severe deficit though lost on average 1.25 pounds per week. That was it. :/ 300 calories. I have found that I also need to maintain the same general activity level (mostly brisk walking) if I am to maintain on those calories. Also, I found it no harder to lose the last 10 pounds than the firtst 53. My experience.

I've played around with all the outside on line calculators. For me, they average around what MFP provides in regards to calories. I've stuck with MFP numbers though if another worked for you, no reason to not stick with it.

Weight loss percentages were set to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. I really didn't pay much attention to them and focused on calories for a year of loss and about 2 years of maintenance. In 2016, I discovered medically therapeutic ketogenic for neurology and trialed it for a year keeping my fat intake ratio at least 3 times the combined carbs and protein which in percentages was 5% carbs and 20% protein as VERY STRICT MAXIMUMS and minimum of 75% fat. I don't recall the grams. It can be easily figured out on 1500 calories.

At maintenance calories I neither gain nor lose other than typical daily fluctuations of a pound or two regardless of how my macros have been set. Currently I have carbs set to 15% (57 grams) as preference and for craving minimization. Fats and proteins fall around 100 grams on average for each. My preference and satiation factor usually has me higher on fats than protein.

TL:DR I'd keep your macros the same as they are now as you ease into maintenance. Once stable and confident, play around with them to your liking for health/fitness goals as well as personal preference/satiation and cravings.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 Thank you for your insight, really appreciate your thoughtful response!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goals up after losing about 5% bodyfat...then I gained on vacation...then wasn't losing after vacation, so I adjusted them down again.

I would say if you have not hit a plateau for at least 3 weeks, then there's not a lot of reason to adjust. However, if you have been stalled for 3 weeks, then maybe it's time to look at how well you are actually meeting your goals, and if you are meeting your goals most of the time, then adjust the goals.

Of course, the best goals in the world are of little use if you don't meet them.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I might have missed the gist of your question, as I was thinking of maintenance and the process of reverse dieting which is adding back calories until such time as you quit losing to determine your own personal maintenance calories.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the "big" protein numbers I see tossed around the forum but will suggest if you decide to do any macro shifting or calorie increasing, consider adding to protein. Right now you are getting RDA of ~.36 grams per pound of body weight (or .8 per kg of body weight). RDA being the amount that is sufficient to meet the nutrient needs for 98% of average individuals (which is probably why MFP's default for protein in 20%). RDA is "nutritional adequacy". With protein it is better to error on the high side. Protein is an essential nutrient.

The RDA @ 172 pounds of body weight would be 62 grams of protein. Compared to the 1 gram/pound of body weight mentioned frequently in the forum, it would be 172 grams of protein. Big difference between 62 grams versus 172 grams. I'd hit it somewhere in the middle-or higher than current but based on personal preference. Just an opinion.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    My macros got adjusted roughly once every 4-6 months during my weight-loss phase, and then once again when I transitioned over from weight-loss into weight-maintenance. There is no hard and fast rule about when you need to change your macros. Change them whenever you want, as often as you want...as long as it works for you.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Your current targets still represent a 30% caloric deficit, so I wouldn't change anything.