Weekly Post 20.8- 26.8.2017

Options
KateNkognito
KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
Hello, all! I managed a pound loss last week! Woo hoo! I hope you all had a nice week. Here's to a great new one!

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Happy Eclipse Day to everyone in the US!
    I am feeling super gross today. Thanks allergies. So I will probably have a fast day whether I want to or not. :/
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good morning everybody! Happy Monday!

Congrats on your loss Kate! I know last week was busy for you and you had said you would not be able to fast as much. But you said you were sticking to your calories! Good job. :)
    Sorry about the allergies. Not fun!
    One thing we have learned about having a successful Light Day is to be sure to have a filling dinner the night before. You need that to push you through the following day or else you may get hungry. It has happened to us and it is not fun!
    Typical Light Day for me. Green Tea in my glass. Salad for lunch and our beloved Escarole & Kale and Bean Stew for Dinner. I leave out the turkey sausage to make it 5:2 friendly. Gym after work.
    Beautiful Day here for the Eclipse! They said from around 2pm or so we will have 75% viewing from where we are on the East Coast of the USA. I don't have any special glasses or contraptions with me so I guess I will have to rely on the good ole TV to see it. :open_mouth:
    Have a good day all! Check in soon!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Fast Day for me. The 75% of the eclipse we were to see has mostly passed over us. The shadows on the ground were really cool. I also didn't have glasses. I used Nasa's website they had some great video.

I fast on Monday and Thursday but I am thinking of adding Saturday. I am finding 3 full days of non fast my stomach feels bloated and I feel extra tired. anyone else have that?

I started fasting because my stomach was feeling bloated while eating and I noticed it is all but gone on fast days so not sure if I am eating something I shouldn't or what.

Doing well on today's fast soup and an egg on whole wheat English muffin for lunch. Trying to figure out dinner tonight.

Yes @Meghan509 I agree with you if I don't have a decent dinner the night before fasting day is a struggle.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good to be able to join you ladies. Stated back on 5:2 last Thursday with my first fast day tomorrow. Doing pretty good except the usual apprehensions - is my calorie count right, am I eating too much, am I eating to little, am I exercising too little, am I exercising too much, will I trash it all if I show a gain at my next weigh-in? Just the usual things rattling around in my brain when I try to lose weight. Hope you all had a good day. Hang in there it is worth it.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good Morning everybody!

@ckmama where are you located if you don't mind me asking? Reason I ask is because I believe we were at around 75% too. I am in CT. I took some cool pics and I will pop back on via my cell to see if I can post the best one I took for you all!
    Hmmm as far as that bloatedness. Are you drinking lots of water? Also heard about making sure you are getting enough salt. Lack of salt can make you tired. Have you ever tried the Himalayan Pink salt on your food? I buy it at my Trader Joe's and I sprinkle it on my veggies and sometimes use it in my recipes. Not a lot, but you get the idea. Also have seen it cheap in the food section at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, & Home Goods, etc. Of course now that I am looking it up they say there are no added health benefits or scientific evidence saying it is better vs. regular salt. LOL! I guess your mileage may vary. :)

We snuck out of our office and on to our company courtyard at around 2:45pm to watch. So cool! One of my friends at work had the glasses. OMG sooo cool! Next time - definitely will plan ahead and will buy the glasses! B)

Light Day went well yesterday. No issues and felt pretty good. I find that my afternoon snack of some fruit helps me get through to dinner and the rest of the night. I weigh in next on Friday AM.

@jknight001 I know what you mean about the mind games we play. On my non Light Days I find it the most challenging. Am I eating enough? Am I eating too much? Darn it I have to miss the gym tonight, will it show up in the scale this week? Ugh!

Chat soon.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

yes those mind games stick around when you're doing maintenance too!! "Ahh, I can eat that... I'm so skinny now! "geez dessert last night and still skinny!"~~ Well, all those kinds of thoughts can get you in trouble! Now I have new capri pants that, are stretchy, but now I'm rounded under them instead of defined by my hips... so mad.... I have been out of the mind set for a while (okay more than a while) but I'm not logging as I should be so I must get back at it, properly! I've been thinking of downloading a new calorie counter just to have a new toy to use.

Today I've stuck to an intermittant fast from last night at 6pm to noon today and I've just had some almond milk... that stuff is so good & fills me up. I'm liking fruit too Meghan, I've got fresh peaches here and I'lll have some around 4 this afternoon then my coleslaw salad and a banana yogurt for a treat later on. I've got enough leftovers to feed the rest of my family so I can easily do my own thing today. Not sure why fasting was so easy 2 years ago! I'm with the same demanding family!!! :# More determined? I just don't know, but this maintenance idea is the biggest mind game ever!

ckmama... have you tried going gluten free?? I know it's quite the fad now, but there are so many products that have gluten besides the obvious breads & pastas, like teryaki sauce for example... try replacing gluten for two weeks on regular eating days as well as fast days. I'd be interested in hearing how you feel after that. Oatmeal and spaghetti squash etc are good replacements... try looking on pinterest for gluten free ideas. I have a bread for my daughter that is actually better than any bread I've had, but I'm getting away from having sandwiches altogether... for lunch I like a rye crisp bread or just peanut butter on a whole banana... no bread - my fav is just cottage cheese & tomatoes, but if you are a bread & pasta eater just try to cut that out for two weeks to see if you feel better because fasting should not make you feel like that..... at least in my opinion ;) Wondering how your dinner went?

It's a gorgeous day here today (West Coast - Vancouver area!) ... clear blue sky and fresh! No smoke from the interior fires today!!! Yesterday during the eclipse I went for a walk, hat brim pulled down and I noticed the shadows from tree leaves looking very cool... all in all, it was just another day for me... like a cloud passing over the sun, not sure about the hype, maybe I'm missing something.

Off to get some walking in!!
    have a great day people B)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!
    @mamainthekitchen maintenance has always been intimidating to me LOL! You can do it. :smiley: I am loving the Intermittent Fasting eating windows. Since I started a month or so back it has helped me lose 1 to 2 pounds a week consistently. That and upping my calories helped I think. I think the eating window is a life saver for my body. I think I can use the extra burning from after dinner until lunchtime. I am one who gains weight easily unfortunately.
    And since I am not a big breakfast eater it is a no brainer.
    The canteloupe has been like candy lately! I had one I bought at my market on sale for $.97 USD. Since I am the only one who eats it, it lasts me a while. Stays fresh for a while cut up in a plastic container in the fridge. My guy can't eat much fruit unfortunately, as it causes him allergies. (Itchy mouth). He typically can only eat it in the AM and if you are doing an eating window of lunch time onwards that really doesn't work well!
    Regular eating day for me. Just counting my calories and doing my IF eating window. Gym after work. Green tea and lots of water water water...
    Hope you have a great day! Chat with everybody soon. ;)
  • ckmama
    Options
    @Meghan509 I live in South Louisiana

@mamainthekitchen it is my non fasting days I feel bloated

I am also dealing with the mind games this week it hit me hard like "no way can I eat this" but then I was like yes I can it is a regular day. Hopefully i will see a loss on Friday I have to admit I haven't logged any calories this last week.

I would like to get away from logging all together so we shall see. If no change then I will go back to logging and try again down the road.

I also have to say I have not exercised of any sort in almost 2 weeks. With the restart of my 2nd job and the HEAT and Humidity here it is exhausting. But I am going to do some inside workout videos a couple of days this week. Being 41 I have quickly come to realize how much I need to work my muscles. I love my Kettlebells but right now it is just to hot to do them outside.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning All!

@ckmama it sounds like you have your hands full!

I have heard that Louisiana is HOT! I have a friend here at work who is getting married there next fall. She and her fiance have family friends there and they go down once or twice a year and love New Orleans, and Louisiana, etc. They are looking forward to that. I have not been there before but my guy has. I would like to get there some time!
    I know what you mean about being in your 40's and losing weight. I'm seeing so much loose skin in my arms that in the past when I lost weight, I wouldn't see. Going to have to do some serious arm exercises eventually or no really short sleeves and no tanks for me. :worried:

Not too much happening here. The nice thing here is the weather. It has been really sunny and less humid which is cool. Supposed to be a beautiful weekend, which for us means more beach time! Tomorrow night we have plans for dinner with an old friend of mine. I am looking forward to that.

Light Day today. Trying to be mindful of how much water I drink. Gym after work. That is all.

I will check back soon with you guys. Have a nice one. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    ^^^^^^"Trying to be mindful of how much water I drink". Words of wisdom right there folks! Thanks Meghan! I needed that thought in my head !!!

Today I'm joining in on the A&W teen burger for MS ... think this is in Canada only, but I do this every year.... at least I'm having it for lunch and will work it off!!

Have a great day people!! I'm fasting tomorrow!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ckmama- could be the grain carbs on non fast days that cause your bloating. I never realized where mine was coming from...water retention and gas were caused by too much grain in my case. I still eat it but less often and smaller quantities, often pretty limited to weekends. On fast days I avoid grain carbs...too many cals and make me hungry. Protein and veggies are my fast day friends :)
  • jknight001
    Options
    yes those mind games stick around when you're doing maintenance too!! "Ahh, I can eat that... I'm so skinny now! "geez dessert last night and still skinny!"~~ Well, all those kinds of thoughts can get you in trouble!

Many talk about losing weight and I think "Losing weight??? Piece of cake! Staying at goal weight??? Now there is the real challenge!"
    :cold_sweat::tired_face::fearful::#

• Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Lots of activity here since I was last on!
    Yesterday, Light Day went pretty well. I felt a little hungry at times yesterday which is a little odd. But sometimes it happens now and then. Could be hormones. :s
    Hopped on the scale this morning for my weekly weigh in and I was the exact same as last week. All good. Not sweating it. :) I have been having pretty good losses back to back each week. The weight didn't come on overnight so it certainly won't come off that way! It is just after 10:30am here and I am dreaming of lunch already. Not like me to be thinking about food in the AM! Ugh. Time for another green tea after I type this.
    I will check back later. Hope everybody is well.

• ckmama
    Options
    Well test failed
  • ckmama
    Options
    Oh it cut it off. Lol. I must log calories.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    ^^ lol..... karma for not logging!! ;)

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I've been trying to stick to my maintenance cals each day and no fast. I am finding that I am forgetting to fast now... maybe incorporating that eating window idea would be good for me. I do that some days but not everyday. Today and tomorrow are going to be hot hot again! My house is all clean because we had company yesterday, I've already worked out and gone for a 6km walk by the beach and now I'll take the dog to the park.... then RELAX!! And yes... I need to log too!!!
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hello again...just popping in to let everyone know that I've searched through the group and moved the most popular meal/recipe threads to the announcement section. This should make it easier for new people coming in trying to get ideas for their fast day menus.

Also, many may not know this, but I pop (silently) into the weekly threads from time to time to see if anyone has posted an interesting or inspiring image. I'll then periodically use them in the group's banner. If you have something that you feel fits the bill, then please post it (high def preferably).

Thanks,
    Rus
  • jknight001
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @orlcam Here is one I always liked. Might not work for your purposes but wanted to share it with the group anyway.

2kaknlhke1sx.jpg
  • ckmama
    Options
    Yes I failed my not logging test :wink: So I must log my food for now and will try again later. Nothing is off the table. I fast Saturday to make up for my "fast" on Thursday--1200 calories :lol:

I started logging again Saturday and today. Start of the new week tomorrow with a fast and a little sick one at home. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    Hello again...just popping in to let everyone know that I've searched through the group and moved the most popular meal/recipe threads to the announcement section. This should make it easier for new people coming in trying to get ideas for their fast day menus.

Also, many may not know this, but I pop (silently) into the weekly threads from time to time to see if anyone has posted an interesting or inspiring image. I'll then periodically use them in the group's banner. If you have something that you feel fits the bill, then please post it (high def preferably).

Thanks,
    Rus

Hey Rus!
    Very cool. Thanks for doing that. Saw those up top and was thinking wow I never noticed those before LOL
    Also was wondering who was updating the pic. Liking that too!