Confused about bacon

Options
jrgriffin82
jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
So today I went to cook some bacon and was about to open a new pack when I saw that even though the nutrition section said 0 carbs and didn't mention sugar at all the second ingredient was sugar. I gave the bacon to a friend and went to the store for some more bacon along with a few other things and every brand they had said 0 carbs and 0 sugar but sugar was listed in the ingredients. I googled Keto friendly bacon while I was standing there and found a forum where somebody asked about it and someone told him that most bacon is cured with sugar but that it "doesn't add many if any carbs worth counting." Is this true? And if not are there bacon brands without sugar?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The sugar is used in the curing process and is negligible. It's ok if it's on the ingredients list. You my also see dextrose on some.
    These don't actually contribute carbs to your diet.
  • jrgriffin82
    jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear the because I ended up just buying the one with the highest fat content and this morning I woke up ravenous and went to town on that new bacon. 2 servings
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear the because I ended up just buying the one with the highest fat content and this morning I woke up ravenous and went to town on that new bacon. 2 servings

Definitely don't stress it. Bacon is predominantly fat already. Definitely no need to seek out higher fat content.
    If you just avoid the maple flavored kind or similar, and opt for plain old bacon you'll be good.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bacon is keto friendly as long is it not honey bacon. No matter how much better the honey tastes it adds sugar.