Suggestions for Pork Rinds

Options

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love Chile & Lime Pork Rinds with French Onion dip!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What is a good brand? I tried the most common brand I see here- Old Dutch Bac'n Puffs and they were not good. I tried breading some chicken with them, but that was revolting. Just trying to determine if the brand is not good, or I just don't like them.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There is a brand around here called Baken-Ets that is really good. I've only had their plain pork rinds though.
  • danamcox
    danamcox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Utz
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    cawood2 wrote: »
    What is a good brand? I tried the most common brand I see here- Old Dutch Bac'n Puffs and they were not good. I tried breading some chicken with them, but that was revolting. Just trying to determine if the brand is not good, or I just don't like them.

That's the same brand I tried, and the only one I've ever seen here (I'm in BC). They were totally gross.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    There is a brand around here called Baken-Ets that is really good. I've only had their plain pork rinds though.

I saw this brand at Superstore the other night. Maybe I'll have to try that. In the meantime I've started making jerky for salty snacks. Just have to keep the bf from eating ALL of it. I'm in Alberta.
  • RAC56
    Options
    When hubby and I watch football games we like to take our pork rinds and put Kerrygold butter on them. I used to do that with saltines and using pork rinds works just as well.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I really don't like the baconettes brand from Lays (I think). In canada you find those most often at the grocery stores. But Loblaws carries the chicarone style ones sometimes if you have an "asian" section. I'm in Ottawa and we now have a T&T which is basically a big Asian Loblaws. That's where I (edit: used to) get my chicarones. They're much crunchier than the baconettes and taste much more like butter rather than pork fat. The Baconettes brand gives me insane heart burn. Not so with the others. There are several kinds though and often the ones at T&T have MSG. (I don't get those). And I find the garlic ones are really gross to me.

Now I get my chicarones at Walmart. They look like the same packaging as the ones at Loblaws but (at least at my Walmart) don't have MSG and they have a better price.

All of this is only helpful of course if you feel like trying a different brand.
    As for eating, I'm not much help. I do the nacho thing and as I'm not much for cooking, will either dip them straight in butter and salt, or homemade mayo.
  • daveinar
    daveinar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy try Louisiana hot sauce sriacha
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    When hubby and I watch football games we like to take our pork rinds and put Kerrygold butter on them. I used to do that with saltines and using pork rinds works just as well.

@RAC56 My husband eats saltines with butter. You are the only other person I have ever heard of that does that. I wonder if it's a regional thing? He grew up in in the Northwest part of the United States.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »

@RAC56 My husband eats saltines with butter. You are the only other person I have ever heard of that does that. I wonder if it's a regional thing? He grew up in in the Northwest part of the United States.

When I was young, I also used to eat saltines with butter but I grew up in the Northeastern US.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Same here. Pittsburgh, PA area. The only reason to eat soup was to have saltines piled with butter to eat with it. My MIL (from Iowa) ate saltines with ice cream.

It sort of goes back to that "reward/pleasure center" of the brain. Read The Hungry Brain, Stephan Guyenet. Sweet/Salty/Fatty in any combination.

This is how I feel about major food manufacturers and their Salted Caramel Ice Cream and Chocolate with Sea Salt. They've become rather blatant and I'm not going to support it any more...I digress...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

• swezeytba
    Options
    Too funny!
  • RAC56
    Options

I grew up in the St. Louis, MO area and I'm the only one I've ever known who ate saltines with butter. No one else in our family ate those. I loved eating that combo as a snack. I'm so happy to be able to do that with pork rinds now. :)
  • RAC56
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Same here. Pittsburgh, PA area. The only reason to eat soup was to have saltines piled with butter to eat with it. My MIL (from Iowa) ate saltines with ice cream.

It sort of goes back to that "reward/pleasure center" of the brain. Read The Hungry Brain, Stephan Guyenet. Sweet/Salty/Fatty in any combination.

This is how I feel about major food manufacturers and their Salted Caramel Ice Cream and Chocolate with Sea Salt. They've become rather blatant and I'm not going to support it any more...I digress...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Yep, saltines and butter with soup or home made chili.

LOL, thanks for the video.
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

@swezeytba I am in Alabama and I put butter on saltines....it is so yummy. I have not thought about putting it on my pork rinds. I am going to have to try this.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    I guess it's not really any different than putting butter on toast, it's just something that never would have occurred to me...lol
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Southeast Missouri and LOVED saltines slathered with butter!
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Grew up on the east coast of Canada and also love saltines with butter. Yum!
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Guess I'm just the only person around who didn't know about this culinary delight.... :)