mental gymnastics

Options
For me, changing my eating habits always brings up stuff. I believe my weight gain has been a kind of armor, keeping myself safe. Whenever I try to lose, it's hard to not self sabotage. And I have a difficult time keeping it off, once I get knocked off my emotional balance. Becoming aware of these tendencies is helping me and I think this time I will overcome and stay in a healthier space.
I have a friend who did the gastric sleeve and I have been watching her progress for 18 months. She's done really well and is starting keto this week. I asked her to join us here. One of the things I realized that was holding me back was being a good caretaker of myself. I work as a caregiver, am a mom of two grown ups and generally mother everyone is my sphere of influence but I have the hardest time really taking care of myself. My friend had to learn that skill after her surgery and I'm hoping that I can finally feel like I'm important enough to warrant that same level of nurturing that I give others.
Anyone else need to vent about their emotional process?

Replies

• Meredith_MI
    Meredith_MI Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is a lot to be said for hiding behind the fat. It gives us an excuse to not be our best. I have found on Keto that I am not hungry and do not have the cravings so I am hoping that even under stress I can maintain the TYPE of food I eat and therefore keep on the road to wellness.
  • lavenderdawn7
    lavenderdawn7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I still get hungry but not usually enough to break the plan. I'm doing well for now. Not lost anything for a few weeks but not really doing this to lose. My blood glucose is higher than an average person's but still lower than it's been. Wrestling with dropping the sweetners or switching all the way to stevia. Baby steps.