Introducing myself

Options
gigijohns
gigijohns Posts: 2 Member
Hello everyone! First of all thank you for having me here.
About me: SAHM of 4, youngest is 12 and homeschooled.
I am 39 and post menopausal.
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, once they did surgery I was menopausal. It's been 6 years since surgery and the weight just keeps creeping on. My entire life I never weighted more than 110 lbs (not pregnant of course)... enter menopause and I no longer recognize the person in the mirror. Right now I'm at 196 lbs. I've been on here on and off over the years, I've done low calorie, low carb, strength training, hired a personal trainer for a while... nothing. Dr. Has checked my thyroid, my insulin and according to him all looks good, and he said it is probably due to the aging process. I'm so tired of Doctors treating me like I'm crazy... it's not normal, I don't get it.
My goal is to be a healthy weight... I gave up on weighing 110 lbs a long time ago. I'm 4'11" so the weight is an issue-health wise. Cholesterol is high and taking meds for that now.
I'm here for support and to support others who are probably going thru the same.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club that no one really wants to be in!!! Old and slow???

Keep trying, I'm sure you will find something that works!!!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome.... I hope you find this group encouraging and helpful... It's nice to have a place to vent and commiserate! The symptoms of pre menopause and menopause are real and they are frustrating!
  • slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Can totally sympathise with you, I'm a mum of 5, 111lbs now, post menopausal for the last 3 years. Know how hard it is to get weight off, I'm only 5 ft myself so appreciate the struggle when you don't have the height to carry it off. Like you I've always been a slim person, but over the years the combination of pregnancies and my love of chocolate have defeated me. I like to eat healthy and exercise, finally back to the weight I should be, at my heaviest around 140-50lbs, light for some but not me. I found a combo of low carb high fat and fasting works for me so try and do it most of the time. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes, but you are young and have time on your side, I'm 54.
    Please friend me if you want.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    gigijohns wrote: »
    Dr. Has checked my thyroid, my insulin and according to him all looks good, and he said it is probably due to the aging process. I'm so tired of Doctors treating me like I'm crazy... it's not normal, I don't get it.

Make sure you're doctor isn't just going by lab ranges to say "normal." Most people do not feel well and have trouble losing weight if their TSH is over 1.5. Also, it's so common for doctors to only check the TSH but that doesn't tell the whole story. Your Free T3 and Free T4 also have to be checked. You can have plenty of thyroid hormone but if your body doesn't convert T3 to T4 well then you won't function like your thyroid is "normal" by your doctor's or test standard. So make sure they did a really thorough check of your thyroid. I find most of the time that's the culprit. If your doctor won't budge then find a functional medicine MD. They will go off of the correct testing as well as your symptoms. A lot of people are hypothyroid symptomatic but test in the "normal" range of thyroid. I functional medicine doctor will treat symptomatic low thyroid and you'll feel a ton better for it if that's the problem.

Welcome from a fellow homeschooler. :) My youngest is a sophmore. Starting back up this week. Two down and graduated, one to go.
  • gigijohns
    gigijohns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the reply ladies! I will be adding you as friends. Took me a few weeks to get back on here... my phone had an "accident"... but I can get on here now. Thank you for all the great advice and words of encouragement.
    I will definitely go back to Dr. and ask for those tests :) I will update once I see her.