To get Into Keto

Options
What do your typical meals look like for the beginning few days to get yourself into ketosis? What have you found to be the easiest without killing yourself and not limiting what you're eating too much? What has worked for you best? I appreciate your answers. What has worked for me in the past is very limited foods and I'm trying to do it a different way this time. Thank you

Replies

• 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As you know, you have a storage of glucose.
    Go out and do fun activities but do not replace the carbs.
    If you do it in the evening, then you have all night to sleep (and not eat).

My typical meals are just protein and fats until the keto stick is purple.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just told myself I could eat as much as I wanted as long as I didn't go over 20g net carbs. I didn't worry about calories for the first week or so. I think I ate a lot of deviled eggs and macadamia nuts in the beginning. I was in ketosis by day 3. I've heard that fasting will get you there quicker- but that's not for everyone- especially not me!
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I tried fasting.. and with the eggfast and keto flu.. Ugh it worked but i was sick. That's why I am trying it this way. What are your typical meals like to get you in keto and stay there?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Keto flu is nothing more than low sodium. You need to supplement sodium every day around 5000mg. Some need as much as 7000 or more.
    You lose a lot of sodium. You're just replacing what you're losing.

Anyway, you don't need certain ratios. Just limit carbs to 20g total for 2 days and you'll be in ketosis.
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Do you eat anything special or refrain from anything (besides carbs) in those first couple days? Ive done it the hard way before and it worked.. but im trying More sensible approach this time. What have you found works best for you to put you in keto and keep you there?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Do you eat anything special or refrain from anything (besides carbs) in those first couple days? Ive done it the hard way before and it worked.. but im trying More sensible approach this time. What have you found works best for you to put you in keto and keep you there?

Just maintaining low carbs. Not eating food with sugar added. Or grains or starches.
    All you need to be in ketosis is carb restriction. Stay around 20g total and it's guaranteed. At 50g you'll be in ketosis most of every day. Higher just reduces the time you spend in ketosis until you reach the point that you have supplied all the glucose your body needs from food. Then no more ketosis.
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Is it possible that I am in ketosis but not showing purple on the Ketone sticks? Because I am way under the 20 carbs net. Is it total carbs or net carbs?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Is it possible that I am in ketosis but not showing purple on the Ketone sticks? Because I am way under the 20 carbs net. Is it total carbs or net carbs?

Yes. It's definitely possible. Being very hydrated and frequently emptying your bladder can show negative. Also faulty strips are possible.
    How long have you been under 20g?
    If you're counting net by subtracting anything except vegetable fiber, that could interfere.
    Sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners, as well as some added fiber sources like are added to things like protein bars can actually have an effect.
    But even if your total is under 50g you will be in ketosis most of the time.
    Don't test in the morning. You'll have your highest ketones at night.
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Good to know. I drink constantly And yes therefore frequently empyting my bladder. This is going on my 2nd day under 15 net carbs. And yes, I always test in the morning. Very insightful. Thank you