Fodmaps

Options
Hi
I am a veggie and due to IBS have been told to follow a low fodmaps plan, so my eating is good.
I am on 1,200 cal a day, just to be sure do i then need to burn over 1, 200 cal to lose weight?

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Eating 1200 calories should put you at a significant calorie deficit unless you are tiny. If you ate only 1200 calories AND burned 1200 calories you wouldn't have enough nutrition. Remember, your body uses calories to keep your heart beating, hair growing, etc. You might want to do an internet search for you BMR, your basal metabolic rate. That's how much energy your body needs even if you don't do anything.
  • mermaid1890
    mermaid1890 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything cjsacto said, and want to add that a big risk of low FODMAP is not consuming enough nutrients and calories. If an RD said that 1,200 is a good amount of calories for you, I would follow that. The diet is tricky and short-term, with the goal of slowing introducing foods by group to help you figure out which groups you're sensitive to after your body has done some healing. If you don't get enough nutrients while on the strictest level of low fodmap your gi tract won't be able to heal. I recommend you check out dietvsdisease on low fodmap, they have a lot of very easy to follow information and a great low fodmap list with amounts of foods that my RD loves.