New study

Options
PepperzDadyO
PepperzDadyO Posts: 22 Member
https://cbsnews.com/news/large-study-suggests-carbs-not-fats-bad-for-you/

One statement stood out to me in this article :"All foods contain three major macronutrients essential for life -- fat, carbohydrate and protein"

Isn't it proven that carbs aren't essential for life? Confused....

Enjoy!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    We can convert from the other energy sources to get the glucose we need....so carbohydrate itself isn't essential, but the glucose we synthesize from it is... So it's one of those ... verbiage constructs...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    We can convert from the other energy sources to get the glucose we need....so carbohydrate itself isn't essential, but the glucose we synthesize from it is... So it's one of those ... verbiage constructs...

Pretty much. "Vital" probably would have been a better word than "essential", as the latter, in a dietary context, means that it must be acquired from exogenous sources (normally food).
  • PepperzDadyO
    PepperzDadyO Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Yes thank you!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Correct.

I like to say to people that while glucose is needed by the body, carbohydrates are not necessary for us to include in our diets in order for our bodies to produce the required amount, and that usually seems more clear.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Correct.

I like to say to people that while glucose is needed by the body, carbohydrates are not necessary for us to include in our diets in order for our bodies to produce the required amount, and that usually seems more clear.

"Required amounts" doesn't really work either, because that varies significantly between individuals, especially dependant upon activities undertaken.

Obvious examples:
    Sedentary individual - low to no exogenous requirements.
    Person such as myself (training 2 times per day 4x/week and 1 per day the other three days, and an active job): very high requirement to even maintain liver glycogen stores, let alone muscular requirements.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I said "required amount" to mean our bodies know what that amount is and we don't need to worry about it.