Ice Cream Substitutions

Options
Okay finally got back on track but craving something sweet for dessert. My weakness is ice cream but I know if I brought a gallon of ice cream in the house it will be gone in no time. Any easy ideas for a suggestion instead of ice cream?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Frozen protein fluff might work. Or cold chocolate avocado "mousse".

I used to make fat bombs sometimes.

I also ind that salty helps. Or a calorie free drink. Diet cola slurpee?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The less you submit to your cravings, the sooner they will pass.
    This craving is the sugar addiction so many of us have to overcome.

My H got over his gradually by sucking peanuts.
    Yeah, I know.
    Weird.
    But true.
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No its specifically Ice cream. Always has been. Just can't give it up. ;)
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Whipping cream egg yolks egg whites vanilla pod sweetener. Made it a week in when I thought I wld die without some real ice cream. Got me thru. Haven't made it since but probably will someday maybe Christmas. Will find recipe and post if u want to try iy
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I take plain Greek yogurt and some frozen berries. Blend up and eat with a spoon.... yum
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a similar craving. Took 2 TBS cream cheese, 2 TBS whipping cream and mixed it up with 1/2 scoop of Salted Caramel Protein Powder. Very smooth and decadent! It brought my fat level up to where it needed to be and satisfied that craving. Since I just make ONE serving at a time it keeps me from wanting to eat more.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Halotop ice cream?
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Is Halotop less carbs?
    Sammie, Im assuming that its 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream? And do you freeze it? Sounds great. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is Halotop less carbs?
    Sammie, Im assuming that its 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream? And do you freeze it? Sounds great. :)

All the flavours and nutritional info is here:

https://www.halotop.com/flavors/
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/10/12/no-churn-vanilla-Keto-ice-cream

I just made this ice cream this weekend. I made 11/2 batches for a birthday party and it made 8 250ml (1 cup) mason jars full. It was really good and all the non-dieters liked it too.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top. Most of the carbs are erythiritol so the net carbs are very low. It's never thrown me out of ketosis.
  • SammieCosme
    SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is Halotop less carbs?

Yes 1/2 cup and yes you freeze it and just stir it up a few times whole it freezes

• SammieCosme
    SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    And halo top is less carbs I recently bought some that had 19 carbs per 1/2 cup. So I won't buy that anymore
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    An alternate to Halotop is Bryers low carb ice cream. Has perhaps 1 gram more carb/serving than Halotop, but in my opinion, has much better texture, and easier to find.

http://secure.breyers.com/product/category/113566/no-sugar-added-frozen-dessert
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Is ice cream a trigger food that leads to excessive periods of a caloric surplus and/or does it go against your goals? If you "can't give it up" (meaning you won't, but that's just semantics), then what's your reason for being low carb/keto?

If it's purely for weight loss, all that matters is being in a calorie deficit. If you're at goal, then just figure in your ice cream goals and don't worry about being in ketosis.

If you're low carb because of a metabolic/neuro disorder; i.e. diabetes, PCOS, epilepsy, etc., then ice cream really shouldn't be a priority.

Not saying you can't/shouldn't have ice cream once in a while, but figure out if you're just trying to keep a processed food in your diet because of an unhealthy association with it or if you really need to even be low carb.
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    I think everyone has things that they're not going to simply give up for their keto low carb lifestyle and that's why we all find different ways of adapting to something we happen to want to incorporate. Again, that's why we all belong to this group to help each other. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Okay finally got back on track but craving something sweet for dessert. My weakness is ice cream but I know if I brought a gallon of ice cream in the house it will be gone in no time. Any easy ideas for a suggestion instead of ice cream?

Try some Halo Top or Enlighten Ice Cream. I think Enlighten is fairly new. See if you have more restraint with them than regular ice cream. If not, my "go to" is sugar free Jello. As I've said many times, I'd rather some aspertame and red dye than 3000 calories and heaven knows how many carbs. Ice cream and moderation are mutually exclusive in my home life. I keep the option open for vacations, birthday parties, etc.