Saxenda Side Effects

Options
Vallerina1
Vallerina1 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
What sorts of side effects is everyone experiencing and for how long? I've been on Saxenda for 20 days. I felt great until day 10, then I started having problems with extreme bowel movements and extreme bloating. The bowel movement problem has gotten better, but I still have that very uncomfortable bloating. Has anyone else experienced this and does it go away? Thank you.

Replies

• charylw
    charylw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Vallerina1, I just started Thursday night. Let's stay connected and talk during this journey. I did read that it is easy to experience constipation due to the prolonged time for stomach emptying. I lean toward the issue anyway even before I started. So I would rather know I can eliminate it and not end up impacted! :) I hope the bloating doesn't last long. For the bloating I am wondering about the amount of water - are you drinking a lot? I am drinking ginger/peach tea to ward off any nausea. I will keep you posted. You do the same! Good to meet you.
  • Vallerina1
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to stay in touch. I've been doing much better the last couple days so I think I just needed to get over the hump. I haven't had any nausea really at all. I think a big problem for me may have been not eating enough and not drinking enough water.
    I'm focusing on that more and increasing by a couple clicks more slowly than going up a straight .6, it seems to be less of a shock to my system. It was when I increased from 1.2 to 1.8 that I had a lot of problems.
  • Mphsflynn
    Mphsflynn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old and 5'6". I started my Saxenda journey at 264 lbs on May 18. I have been on the meds for under 2 months now and my weight loss has been great - I am 230 lbs (loss of 34 pounds) and have been thrilled as I have not had ANY side affects. However, my daughter (who is home for the summer from college) has had a terrible time with nausea and vomiting and some constipation. She is going to stick with it for the summer and stop when she goes back to school. She is 5'9" and started out at 233 and so far has had a loss of 20 pounds. She is taking Promethazine for the nausea and it is really working for her.
  • Vallerina1
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss, that's amazing! I've been increasing my doses slower, and the only problem I keep having is uncomfortable bloating, I don't know what to do for that... I've been trying some OTC relief but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions for that?
  • mcspeight
    mcspeight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started saxenda Jan 2016...i recently had to stop due to my gallbladder. When i was on it and actively keeping up with logging my food and exercising there was really no issues. When i would slack of that when I found I have more bowel issues. The best thing if you are having some constipation is increasing your water and fiber and exercise....if you need a laxative try to use PEG 3350 (aka restor-a-lax, lax-a-day). Any other type of laxative (senna or doculax etc) are 'stimulant' laxatives and it defeats the purpose of saxenda....peg is easy on the belly too!
  • tiffster0629
    tiffster0629 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking Saxenda today. I injected it in my abdomen at 8am this morning. I had 4 chick n mini's from Chick Filet - 350 calories. I ate a couple of bites of scrambled eggs I brought. I still feel like I could eat and no nauseousness. Does Saxenda take a few days or weeks to start feeling the appetite suppression? - could be I did not inject it correctly as I was seeing how to set up the pen for injection on a you tube video which did not explain that I needed to first make sure the pen works and just set it to the --- line initially. How ever, I did check the pen afterwards and the pen is working. I also did not count to 6 before taking it out.--any thoughts?
  • Vallerina1
    Options
    I started taking Saxenda today. I injected it in my abdomen at 8am this morning. I had 4 chick n mini's from Chick Filet - 350 calories. I ate a couple of bites of scrambled eggs I brought. I still feel like I could eat and no nauseousness. Does Saxenda take a few days or weeks to start feeling the appetite suppression? - could be I did not inject it correctly as I was seeing how to set up the pen for injection on a you tube video which did not explain that I needed to first make sure the pen works and just set it to the --- line initially. How ever, I did check the pen afterwards and the pen is working. I also did not count to 6 before taking it out.--any thoughts?

It took about 4 or 5 days to kick in for me, so you are probably fine
  • Vallerina1
    Options
    mcspeight wrote: »
    I started saxenda Jan 2016...i recently had to stop due to my gallbladder. When i was on it and actively keeping up with logging my food and exercising there was really no issues. When i would slack of that when I found I have more bowel issues. The best thing if you are having some constipation is increasing your water and fiber and exercise....if you need a laxative try to use PEG 3350 (aka restor-a-lax, lax-a-day). Any other type of laxative (senna or doculax etc) are 'stimulant' laxatives and it defeats the purpose of saxenda....peg is easy on the belly too!

Thank you, any advice on how to get rid of the gassiness and bloat? It's so uncomfortable that I am not exercising anymore and I feel like that defeats the purpose. I've tried taking at different times of day, with or without food, and now I am trying different injection points. It seems to be a little better when I object into abdomen, rather than my thighs.
  • mcspeight
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Opps
  • mcspeight
    Options
    Vallerina1 wrote: »
    mcspeight wrote: »

Thank you, any advice on how to get rid of the gassiness and bloat? It's so uncomfortable that I am not exercising anymore and I feel like that defeats the purpose. I've tried taking at different times of day, with or without food, and now I am trying different injection points. It seems to be a little better when I object into abdomen, rather than my thighs.

Walking is suppose to help with gas pains....but there are products out there OTC....gas-x..beano is another. Most of the time it's diet related...do you have any triggers?...like does eating beans make it worse than eating broccoli for example....you could cut back on high fiber foods and slowly reintroduce them. Maybe even try lactose free daily products?.....i use to get ungodly sulfer (rotten egg) burps..it was most likely a mix of high protein and slower gastric empting...but only thing I could take was extra strength pepto bismol.....it worked in one or two doses....but just an fyi it will turn your stool black.
  • masonstacy
    masonstacy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and just started Saxenda this week. I haven't experienced any negative sided effects, but realize I'm early in the game. The one thing that amazed me on the scale this morning is an 8lb weight loss (in only a few days?). I'm sure it's a fluke, but I'll take it! :) I had been very swollen for the past week, so I'm certain that it was only water weight...but it's motivating me nonetheless!
  • charris151
    charris151 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and started Saxenda in May. I am down 20lb so far but it hasn't been easy. I had a lot of nausea at the beginning and did actually lose my supper one night. The nausea seems better now but the constipation is unreal (despite PEG powder). I have started increasing my activity (walking) and have also started to increase my water, so I'm hoping that works. Does anyone have any anecdotes or advice? I'm open to suggestions!
  • phoenix11rising
    phoenix11rising Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can only commiserate with you. I am only on my second week with Saxenda. However, the second day of the first week and now the second day of this second weekend (two doses after my first dose increase), I have been plagued with horrible bloating and gas, along with constipation. I also have been burping a lot more than I ever do (although I would not describe them as sulfur burps, which others have mentioned). Maybe a stool softener would help? Something like Colace? I also am going to try going back on Zantac to see what that does for the reflux/burping I am experiencing.
  • charris151
    charris151 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can only commiserate with you. I am only on my second week with Saxenda. However, the second day of the first week and now the second day of this second weekend (two doses after my first dose increase), I have been plagued with horrible bloating and gas, along with constipation. I also have been burping a lot more than I ever do (although I would not describe them as sulfur burps, which others have mentioned). Maybe a stool softener would help? Something like Colace? I also am going to try going back on Zantac to see what that does for the reflux/burping I am experiencing.

Historically, I have had zero luck with Colace. Fortunately the increased activity and water have helped, so I am cautiously optimistic :)
  • Vallerina1
    Options

I have been increasing my doses much slower than before which helps but I still haven't found a solution. It does seem that if I overeat, or eat poorly, the bloat and gas is worse than if I'm eating correctly (makes sense) Water consumption is huge too, the more I drink the better I feel. I've been hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, but sometimes the bloat is so bad it is uncomfortable to move, period. My doctor prescribed me a powder laxative, I'm hoping that helps, although bowel movements are pretty regular for me since I take probiotics.
  • boaty79
    boaty79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started today. Thank you for all the wonderful tips. What does it feel like when it starts to kick in?
  • Vallerina1
    Options
    boaty79 wrote: »
    I just started today. Thank you for all the wonderful tips. What does it feel like when it starts to kick in?

Side effects are different for everyone, I think I'm finally getting over the hump after about 2 months. It doesn't feel like anything once you're past the side effects, you just don't feel hungry, and you feel full faster, at least that's how it is for me. I still have a problem with stress/emotional eating and need to figure that out, cuz even though I feel full, I will still eat, so it's a matter of self control there, I guess. Good luck!
  • Massie2013
    Massie2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Would nauseous ever stops? I accidentally started my first dose on 3 mg. Which I ended up in hospital emergency room. Nausea wouldn't stopped. I lost 4 lb just that night and that was water from my poor body now I am afraid to start from 0.6.
  • ChrissyB4848
    ChrissyB4848 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Massie2013 wrote: »
    Hi
    Would nauseous ever stops? I accidentally started my first dose on 3 mg. Which I ended up in hospital emergency room. Nausea wouldn't stopped. I lost 4 lb just that night and that was water from my poor body now I am afraid to start from 0.6.

Definitely, do not be afraid. You need to be careful with it, like all medication. I started my journey at 268 and I got down to 141. The summer has left me around 150. (I always gain in the summer) On Saxenda I was 225 thereabouts and got to 141. I am slowly going back on the medication. I had taken myself off and I don't think I should have. 0.6 is a really easy dose, as far as I am concerned..

Good luck to everyone!! I wouldn't be where I am today without Saxenda.
  • firewendy
    firewendy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of Saxenda. I lost two pounds but then somehow gained one back last night. I'm not sure how that happened because I am eating way less.

The issue that I am having is that I am having palpatations on this medicine. I can feel my heart skipping a beat. Usually the onset of the palpitations is 6-7 hours after my injection. By the next morning they are gone completely. I stopped drinking anything with caffeine in it just to see if that would help. The palpitations are not as bad but are still there. Has anyone had any issues with this type of symptom? I'm supposed to bump up to 1.6 tomorrow but I am worried!

Thank you!

Wendy