Read Anything Good Lately?

Options
BPRKEY
BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
Besides the title, tell us a quick summary of the book (no spoilers please!), and why you like it.

If you're looking for a new book, this is a good place to start.

Replies

• shadowdrake37
    shadowdrake37 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. It is a fantasy book, but amazing read. Witty, sexy, and laugh out loud funny!
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Good to know! I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I really liked a book called The Misfortune of Marion Palm by Emily Culliton. It was beautifully written and pretty quirky. It's the story of a woman who has been embezzling money from the school her daughters attend and then she goes on the lam. The story is told from many points of view.

Another interesting book I picked up recently was No Kidding: Women Writers on Bypassing Motherhood. It has various authors, but was edited by Henriette Mantel. I haven't finished it yet but find it very relatable and maybe some of you would, too!
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    A really good easy read was The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Told from the perspective of a 12 year old girl when a phenomenon occurs with the earth's orbit. It becomes erratic and sometimes is quick sometimes very slow. But the impact on everything is significant from ecosystem to the girl's social system, to family dynamics. I couldn't put it down.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am reading "hunger" by Roxane Gay. Its a highly relatable memoir of her experience with significant obesity. Amazing read
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Reading "architecture of happiness" by Alain de Boton. It's about how architectural design affects our lives. Very stimulating
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    I just started The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. The author is a Japanese organization consultant. It's very zen-feng-shui-like. I live in a TINY San Francisco apartment if we're going to continue to live here harmoniously, I need a new organizational system lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    BPRKEY wrote: »
    I just started The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. The author is a Japanese organization consultant. It's very zen-feng-shui-like. I live in a TINY San Francisco apartment if we're going to continue to live here harmoniously, I need a new organizational system lol.

I am an organization freak and would call myself a minimalist in addition. I hope Marie Kondo's book helps you a little bit!
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just read The Time Traveler's Wife (which has been out for ages but I just picked it up while looking for an easy read over the holiday weekend. I haven't seen the movie, either.) So lovely, but a bit sad. I think the title says it all...time traveler first meets his wife when she's a child but he is much older. The story follows their lives together, in a linear manner for her, and through his various time hops.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    I need to read this. It's been on my list for ages. My book is yielding results! I gutted a closet this weekend. I have a rather large box of donations, some stuff going to consignments and a lot more room in that closet. :-)
    jlc102980 wrote: »
    I just read The Time Traveler's Wife (which has been out for ages but I just picked it up while looking for an easy read over the holiday weekend. I haven't seen the movie, either.) So lovely, but a bit sad. I think the title says it all...time traveler first meets his wife when she's a child but he is much older. The story follows their lives together, in a linear manner for her, and through his various time hops.

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to the In Death series by J.D. Robb. It's about a homicide lieutenant in 2060 NY named Eve Dallas. Naked In Death is the first book, give it a shot!
  • merrys73
    merrys73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Reading Stephen King's IT right now, almost done finally!! It's a long one!!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I recently signed up to Kindle Unlimited and read a book from Steven Morris called Sex, Lies and Chocolate Cakes. It was very funny and a great read whilst travelling. It's about a UK taxi driver who is struggling with his life, love and weight - not glamorous in the slightest which is what I loved about it.