My accountability: Crimsongrey

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
Hey all!
Sorry I haven't checked in for so long. I've been super busy since getting home from Aiken in April. We bought a farm that needs a lot of work so that's what I've been doing...working! Lots of working! I also hurt my back really bad and was completely out of commission for 2 months. During the past few months I've totally let my eating (and drinking ;) ) get out of hand. Despite finally getting my own farm, I feel like crap. I'm out of shape, overweight and depressed. It's time to take control again and move forward. With that said, I am going to use this forum to keep me accountable. I don't expect anyone to read it, but if you want to follow and offer support, that would be great! Please feel free to start your own discussion if you'd like to do the same :)

Replies

• Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you. New farm and new kickoff on your journey. Try to not be so hard on yourself. Pain is a huge enemy when one is trying to lose weight and/or get healthy. Good luck!!
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    My commitments starting today: Ride 5 days/week, gym 3 days/week, log all food and do the exercises my PT recommends for my back every day.
  • Shron123
    Options
    Great goals/commitments and good idea to write them down especially in a public place. My trainer is on holidays this week but have been going to her classes twice a week and yoga once a week for the summer. Plan starting mid fall is to go to my trainers once and yoga twice. My yoga instructor does more than just yoga so it is a pretty intense class. Riding is on hold since last weekend as had a pretty good fall when my horse tripped on a nasty root. My back and ribs have improved but still pretty sore. Hopefully in another week can start up again. My hubby just put new trails in our back bush (about 5 mi) so plan is to get out and do that at least twice 2x per week until the ice comes. Good luck w your plans.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @crimsongrey how's it going?
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    so, it has not been going well :( We recently adopted 2 puppies, one with pretty severe separation anxiety. They have made my daily schedule a real challenge, especially the one with anxiety. As adorable as puppies are, they are very time consuming...basically, I have 2 very rambunctious toddlers. I am not a mother. I always knew I did not want to be a mother. My patience is wearing very thin. To add to my frustration, the one with anxiety got trampled by a horse a few days ago and now has a broken leg that will require surgery next week :( Now the other puppy is becoming the problem because he feels great and still wants to run around like a lunatic and doesn't understand why things need to be calm. Oy! Anyway, I've been struggling to just deal with these 2 and the 7 horses (and their owners) that depend on me. I'm not going to lie, I am exhausted and feel like such a weak person (i.e., failure) because I am so stressed by having to take care of everything. I was an only child and my hubby and I are used to being alone with a lot of quiet time. I love the puppies and am not sorry that we adopted them, but I can't wait for them to be a little less needy so I can have some time to myself. I haven't been able to leave the house much due to the puppy's separation anxiety so no going running or to the gym. I've always hated going to the grocery store, but last night I told my husband that I had to go while he watched the puppies so I could get away from them! I do not know how moms do it!! On the positive side, since the one with anxiety has a broken leg and is on some good pain meds, he is much calmer and I can now start to gradually leave for longer amounts of time. (Back story: he was found alone in a ditch and taken in by a couple who took care of him until we got him. He has really flat feet which makes the vets think he had been crated A LOT when he was younger. He is frantic in a crate so we tried a play pen, which he manages to get out of and drags it around the house. Quite challenging.)

With all of that said, I have been trying to not eat based on my emotions and although I haven't been tracking everything, I have been paying attention. I also bought new running shoes and can't wait to use them. So, since the anxious puppy is drugged, I will do 2 hour-long trips outside today....one to go running and one to ride. I've tracked my food so far today. I hate that I haven't stuck to the plan, but I feel even more motivated now than I did before the puppies came along.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yup. Sounds like being a mom. Fortunately puppies grow up faster than children. Imbalances like this are hard. Sounds like you are doing the best you can in the moment and, really, that's all anyone can do. You'll get back to it. Don't give up.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    went running today for the first time this year! The puppies survived without me. It was great to get out and do something to take care of myself!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @crimsongrey YAY for running! and getting out by yourself.... Hope you've had a good week :)
  • crimsongrey
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Had a great ride yesterday...taking things back to basics and letting go of the expectation of being where we were before my back injury. He was relaxed and listening. I even rode with a metronome app on my phone to work on a consistent rhythm. He had shots yesterday so he got the day off today, but I did go running...3.38 miles, with only a few seconds here and there of walking. Felt pretty good! Best part? The puppies both stayed in their crates (even the anxious one who had leg surgery yesterday!) and were asleep when I got home :smiley:
  • Shron123
    Options
    Had a bad "unsheduled dismount" and had a bad landing on my back. Sigh. Have been off for a couple of weeks as bruised my ribs pretty bad. Trying yen yoga tomorrow and back to my trainer next week. Hopefully riding again next week as well. Fingers crossed. Friends came over twice this week to give the horses some exercise. Great to hear u r on track @crimsongrey I hope to be as well soon. On a happy note I have lost 25 lbs since July 3rd.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    Had a nice ride last night, working on keeping things relaxed and simple. We did a course of teeny tiny "jumps" on a loose rein, mostly at the trot, but some canter if he was quiet. I worked on staying in my 2-point to work the legs and some sitting trot without stirrups, really relaxing and stretching my legs long. Felt great! Today will be running and riding :)
  • Shron123
    Options
    2-point is something I just started working on this season. It works very well during rides especially one with a lot of downhill trail and when my horse starts to get tired. I'm not very strong at it though and can only do it for short periods. Any pointers @crimsongrey?
  • crimsongrey
    edited September 2017
    Options
    2-point is something I just started working on this season. It works very well during rides especially one with a lot of downhill trail and when my horse starts to get tired. I'm not very strong at it though and can only do it for short periods. Any pointers @crimsongrey?

years of practice ;) Just try to go a little longer each ride. You could also try alternating posting and being up in 2-pt every few steps...post 1, 2, 3, up 1,2, 3... This builds strength and balance and helps with keeping a consistent rhythm. Make sense? It works at the canter as well.
  • Shron123
    Options
    Excellent. I especially like the alternating suggestion. Def going to try .... as soon as my back let's me. Thanks!!!!!!!
  • crimsongrey
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Didn't want to run today, but put my running clothes on the second I got in the house after doing stalls and got out the door before I had time to talk myself out of it. Ran 3.38 miles. Super slow, but I ran most of the way with only a couple of walk breaks. It would've been easy to convince myself to not ride after running, but because I typed my plan on here, I did it! We only did 2, 5 min. trots with 1 min walk breaks and 2, 2 minute canters, followed by a 5 minute walk because it got too dark. He is so good during sets. The second he hears the beep on my watch, he's off! It feels so good to have acheived my goals for the day :)
  • crimsongrey
    edited September 2017
    Options
    nice flat ride today, casually working on lateral movements. He was nice and relaxed again.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    3.38 miles...started out tight, but ended up being a good run :)
  • Shron123
    Options
    Excellent.

Friend of mine is back from out west tomorrow. Booked two days to ride w her. Fingers crossed my back cooperates and my horse isn't too fresh from his vacation
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    a nice gentle yoga class this morning before doing stalls then ran my 3.38 mile route :)
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've missed you!!! @crimsongrey

Haven't heard about the puppies for a few days I hope they are starting to settle in and get used to the routine... and the one is healing....

Great job on the run yesterday.