Carb Loading

Options
Hi Everyone,

I started keto dieting about a month ago and so far it's been going well. I don't really have cravings or feel hungry. I'm wondering about views on carb loading? I've had a number of people tell me that it will be necessary to have carb load days or meals, especially when my weight loss stalls. I wasn't really planning to heave cheat days or carb loading meals and worry that it may trigger me to "fall off the wagon" as I've always been an all or nothing kind of gal when it comes to dieting. Is it necessary? Do any of you do carb loading and do you get the keto flu again when you go back to your diet? (I had the keto flu for the first 2 weeks and don't want to do that again)

Replies

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes just 'satisfy my annoying inner child' when carbing up. Let's be honest, rice, potatoes and carrots ain't exactly fun food ;) I'll be doing it this weekend prepping for a cycle race and it starts Friday with pizza for lunch and will contain some pasta and treats at my friends 50th bday party on Saturday night no doubt after a dinner at Boston Pizza with my wife(kidless weekend). I'll have my usual waffles loaded with syrup the morning of the ride followed by a muffin and donut from Tim's and then my gels on the ride. Then it's dad's 77th bday Sunday which I'll no doubt celebrate with a few drinks and some garlic bread and potato/roast type dinner before returning to low carb Monday morning.

Done many of these types of weekends over the years and other than some excess gas and about 5lbs water weight I'm usually back to pre-load weight by the Wednesday morning after and back on track.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    I will sometimes just 'satisfy my annoying inner child' when carbing up. Let's be honest, rice, potatoes and carrots ain't exactly fun food ;) I'll be doing it this weekend prepping for a cycle race and it starts Friday with pizza for lunch and will contain some pasta and treats at my friends 50th bday party on Saturday night no doubt after a dinner at Boston Pizza with my wife(kidless weekend). I'll have my usual waffles loaded with syrup the morning of the ride followed by a muffin and donut from Tim's and then my gels on the ride. Then it's dad's 77th bday Sunday which I'll no doubt celebrate with a few drinks and some garlic bread and potato/roast type dinner before returning to low carb Monday morning.

Done many of these types of weekends over the years and other than some excess gas and about 5lbs water weight I'm usually back to pre-load weight by the Wednesday morning after and back on track.

I'm not averse to them, IF you can handle it. The whole "fall off the wagon" stuff from the OP led me to believe this may not be the case here. That phrase alone is usually indicative of a person who has some issues with food.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know that carb loading is actually necessary. Can someone explain how you would know when you get to a point where you really need to carb load?
  • Smoked33
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »

I'm not averse to them, IF you can handle it. The whole "fall off the wagon" stuff from the OP led me to believe this may not be the case here. That phrase alone is usually indicative of a person who has some issues with food.

Agreed...could be a slippery slope for some.
  • mrslmartin1001
    mrslmartin1001 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would think that if it's a "lifestyle" you wouldn't need to "carb load".
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever carbload is usually used to bulk up, or as already mentioned before a challange.

while staying in ketosis for a few days (5 up to 12), the next 36 to 48 hours are used for a massive carb intake and return into ketosis for the next cycle.

sure, it works for people they are in a regular base in a gym and "build theyr body" or are in a need to load carbs (bicycle). but without a propper workout, you will get what you eat :#
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A carb load day usually turns into a carb load week for me, I avoid at all costs and save a 'mess up' meal for something like wedding or birthday cake
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As some others have referenced, carb loading is usually in reference to very high intensity exercise, and for most not really even necessary there. I don't think I'd even do that until fully keto adapted (give it 2-3 months).

But if you're just talking about eating keto to try to lose weight or to get healthier in general, no, there is never any reason to eat a bunch of carbs.
  • Smoked33
    Options
    I would think that if it's a "lifestyle" you wouldn't need to "carb load".

That assumes it's a lifestyle for everyone and that 'need' and 'want' aren't exclusive.

I could say that I don't need to carb load before my cycling event for example, but if I dont' i know my performance will suffer greatly, especially as the distance gets longer. I choose to because i'm competitive and it helps my performance. Additionally an 80/20 approach is very commonly accepted...80% low carb, 20% carb seems to speak to a healthy balanced lifestyle to me. I just choose to have the bulk of those 20% in a short timeframe. :)
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion: That was a load of c$%^ If your on a low carb diet you are on a low carb diet, always, there is no "carbing up" on this woe.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle...some days my carb goal is 50, some days my carb goal is 167...it seems to help with the workouts and the muscle gain - booyah!

However, I don't understand how it works. And I don't understand how carb loading is different than carb cycling, except that is appears to be a lesser frequency with a larger amount of carbs. And I don't understand how to know when it might be a valuable tool.

I'm always looking to learn more, and mostly willing to experiment if I'm not getting results. Right now the results are just amazing to me, but at some point maybe it won't be and I'll want to try something different.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I do my level best, under normal circumstances, to never touch carbs with a barge-pole. That said, I have no exercise regime at all, in any way shape or form, other than to state that I am a enthusiastically-active sexagenarian. So I really don't need them.

My recent foray into foreign parts saw me compelled, for want of better nutrition, to eat carbs on a daily basis. Both my H and I didn't relish the experience, and we were both eager to get home if only for the purpose of 'getting back on track'.
    I did have a McVities Digestive round my mum's house the other day - but she had company, and rather than draw attention to myself, I jut ate it with my cup of tea. But that was all.
    This evening, we ate at a friend's house; steak, mushrooms stuffed with cream cheese and topped with a crushed nut crust, and a green salad with blue-veined cheese and walnuts, plus French dressing. Then 'Mine Hostess' gave us individual small portions of 'Tiramisu'. Bang. Carbs right there.
    But frankly, although the carb hit might have exceeded my daily quota, take the week into account and I'm well under.

And I'm happy to stay that way.

So no.
    I personally don't consider 'carb-loading' to be a viable option in any LCHP/F regimen, unless you are undergoing high-power training and doing a whole shedload of working out.
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Never heard of carb loading to break a stall on a true keto. There are cyclical program involving carbs and keto....is that what you are talking about?

The methods I have read to break a stall on a true keto are fasts. Fat fasts, egg fasts, and the no food variety of fasting -16 hours, 24 hours, Alternate Days, or consecutive days.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions! I really don't exercise much so really don't think carb loading is something I need to do. The people who have told me I will need to all know I don't exercise yet have been quite insistent that it's necessary so was curious to hear what others do.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle thanks for sharing your story! I guess at the end of the day we all do what works for us regardless of what others say. A lot of people don't understand the woe, but I don't blame them because there's so much incorrect and mixed information out there.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I always go by a fairly simple adage, which I have found works for a massive variety of situations, right across the board, any time, anything, anywhere, whatever.... (from high-diving off the top board into a kiddie pool, to dating 'that' guy, to eating a jam-filled sugary doughnut!)

"If it feels good - do it.
    When in doubt? Don't."
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle thanks for sharing your story! I guess at the end of the day we all do what works for us regardless of what others say. A lot of people don't understand the woe, but I don't blame them because there's so much incorrect and mixed information out there.

There definitely is, and unfortunately it comes from both sides of the fence.

It's gradually become accepted that a carbohydrate restricted (or even ketogenic) diet tends to be quite beneficial to those in poor metabolic health. Fortunately, for most these problems self-correct as bodyfat levels drop, and the body is returned to a state of better health.

Unfortunately, this leads to future confirmation bias. Often, after a person has restored themselves to a healthy balance, they go back to eating like crap again (SAD), and end up screwing themselves up all over again. While they can't see the forest for the trees, they'll swear it was the carbs that screwed them up again, when in reality it was the nasty combination of calorie dense, hyperpalatable, high-fat, high-carb, low-protein, low-micronutrient foods that did it the first AND second time.

Our modern food environment is one giant bear trap for the inattentive, and to pretend like it's the fault of any single macronutrient is so hilariously misinformed, that I don't even know where to start.