Class and Practice Check-in 9/6/2017

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

Replies

• Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I went to a class last night that was supposed to be an hour. Coach was in a mood and it went on for 2 hours of him yelling at us in Chinese. The class was just me and 2 teenage sisters who are both very advanced. I'm learning 3 standard beginning wushu forms (elementary long fist, broad sword, and staff). I take from this coach 2hrs per week and another wushu coach 2hrs per week because of proximity. The thing I struggle with most are the jumping and tumbling moves (so I've been doing a beginning acrobatics class to help) and definitely the endurance. I poop out too quickly. However, I'm now able to do pistol squats (for low cat stances), standing split, kip ups, and working on doing better butterfly kicks. I'm off to practice now, so I don't get yelled at again for the same issues in my forms tomorrow, then off to acrobatics class.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am on the shelf from BJJ with a rib injury so I am focusing on striking for a few weeks.

Noon - kickboxing class
    Evening - kickboxing sparring (no left side body shots cause of the rib) Two of the rounds wee with two top MMA prospects of the mid south - one has already fought on national tv. Good guys I consider friends. The young men took it easy on an old man, though they popped me a few good ones since they know I want to have an MMA fight soon.
  • akatdrake
    akatdrake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    New member here. Last night was MMA-focused drills and sparring. We had six fighters there today, the rest of the class did kickboxing. Drills consisted of starting from the clinch, pinning the opponent's strong underhook down at the elbow, grabbing the wrist, arm-dragging and taking the back; technique two was doing the same but if opponent has strong base, put weight on their calf, so you can drag them down and take their back. Third drill was if their base was strong and wide, fall back on your dominant hip, sneak through that leg to opponent's opposite leg, and sweep them into side control, grab cradle position and use to advance to mount.

We had two rounds of sparring then I had to leave for a fantasy football draft last night. Sounded good.

I have a fight coming up Sept. 23 and need to cut 7.5 lbs. It was a good night.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    akatdrake wrote: »
    New member here. Last night was MMA-focused drills and sparring. We had six fighters there today, the rest of the class did kickboxing. Drills consisted of starting from the clinch, pinning the opponent's strong underhook down at the elbow, grabbing the wrist, arm-dragging and taking the back; technique two was doing the same but if opponent has strong base, put weight on their calf, so you can drag them down and take their back. Third drill was if their base was strong and wide, fall back on your dominant hip, sneak through that leg to opponent's opposite leg, and sweep them into side control, grab cradle position and use to advance to mount.

We had two rounds of sparring then I had to leave for a fantasy football draft last night. Sounded good.

I have a fight coming up Sept. 23 and need to cut 7.5 lbs. It was a good night.

Sounds like you are on point with your weight.
  • desertcoyote19
    desertcoyote19 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Went to class last night even though air quality is horrible where I currently live do to a wildfire. Definitely wasn't as intense of a workout as we are used to, but I don't think any of us could have handled it after what we were breathing all day.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Long night for me last night, 45 minutes assistant teaching for beginner belts, then 45 mins of sparring class (lots of bag work and sparring drills - some free sparring), 30 minutes of jr forms and One Steps and 30 more minutes of Red Belt Forms.

You don't have it listed but I take Tang Soo Do Moo Do Kwan.

Kelly