Pack a Lunch

davelaguna
davelaguna Posts: 2 Member
I am looking for good ideas to pack food to take to work.

Replies

• srk84891
    srk84891 Posts: 3 Member
    Baked chicken tenders are certainly the easiest. I pack two of those, with baby carrots and sauteed peppers and onions. Black beans or chick peas are a good source of fiber to add. It is surprisingly filling and only about 200 calories total. Home made hummus or black bean dip is great too with baby carrots, broccoli or other cruciferous vegetables.
  • devash1762
    devash1762 Posts: 34 Member
    Baked fillet of sole, steamed spinach with evoo and garlic, lentil and rice pilaf, steamed carrots. All portioned appropriately of course.

Sometimes, I have little time and even less motivation so I made a PBJ and pepper strips to snack on.

Burrito bowls sound delish! I prefer not to eat any meat during the day, holding off for the evening meal, but for sure, I would totally make this with beans, rice, maybe guacamole.
  • DreamPhedre
    DreamPhedre Posts: 594 Member
    I've been bringing yogurt, hard boiled eggs, snap peas/carrots/celery, and either an apple or strawberries lately.

When it wasn't too hot to have my oven on a variation of this was lovely https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/italian-sausage-veggie-bowls-meal-prep/
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I've been enjoying just a sandwich and fruit these days, actually...
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    My go to quick lunch is almond butter and banana on a whole wheat english muffin. Very filling!
  • clvsammet
    clvsammet Posts: 1 Member
    If you have a microwave at work: Buy a head of cauliflower and broccoli. Cook and freeze a mix in single portion containers. Buy some sliced cheese. Heat the frozen portion until it is done then add the cheese and close the top for a few seconds until it melts.
    Other great lunch box items:
    Baby bells or single serving cheeses,
    Breakstones single serve 2% cottage cheese
    Nom-fat plain yogurt mixed with ranch powder like hidden valley to dip any kind of veggie such as carrots, peppers, celery, snap peas, or tomatoes.
    Berries of any kind
    Sauerkraut with cut up low cal turkey or chicken hotdogs
    Lunch meat with whole grain mustard to dip
    100 calorie nut packs like almonds or walnuts
    Low cal yogurt
    Bring something to drink, it makes a difference.
    Cucumber salad
    cherry tomatoes
    hard boiled egg
    Tangerines or mandarines
    Knäckebrot

• sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    Last night I made a big pot of veggie soup to take with me to work for the week. I heat it up in the morning and put it in a thermos because I don't have a microwave at work. I had a lot of fresh veggies lying around from my garden, so it's a bit random. It's only 90 calories for a 3 cup serving!
    2 cups chicken broth
    3 cups water
    1 carrot
    1 onion
    1 fennel bulb
    4 celery stalks
    1 cup of green beans
    1 cup cherry tomato
    1 cup dried lentil
    salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil, chilli peper flakes to taste

Popped it in the oven before bed and cooked overnight in a really low oven, at 175 degrees. The veggies weren't quite soft yet so I finished cooking it on the stove top when I woke up. Took about 10 minutes on simmer to finish. It's tasty!
  • sarahmoore0979
    sarahmoore0979 Posts: 15 Member
    The soup sounds amazing. I don't have time to make soup at the moment, but for anyone in the UK I can 100% recommend the New Covent Garden Skinny Goa Chicken and Lentil soup. It really is delicious, filling AND low cal (I struggle to tick all 3 boxes at lunch!)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Lentils, soup, boiled eggs, bowls sound good.
  • tmcbride1964
    tmcbride1964 Posts: 6 Member
    Is the burrito bowl eaten hot or cold?
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Salad with your preferred dressing. Add a protein source - in the last week I have had ground beef taco meat - a leftover pork chop - a can of albacore tuna - 2 hard boiled eggs - you get the idea.
  • ngmathers
    ngmathers Posts: 1 Member
    I make Mini veggie quiches sunday night (muffin tins) and freeze in sandwich bags for grab & grow at desk. Also freeze my fav soups to grab and go! thawed by time to eat!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    I am vegetarian so I don't mind, but if you wouldn't mind eating soy chicken, Morningstar Farms makes great chixin patties. A chicken patty on a whole grain english muffin with a bit of mayo. Yum. (You might want two of them.) I don't know if you are trying to lose weight or not. If not then a breaded chicken patty would probably be okay. Just nuke the frozen patty a bit in the morning and then eat room temp at lunch. (Don't know about meat safety parameters for real chicken though I think if it's soy it's okay if it sits a few hours after it's heated.)