Keto diet

Options
Anyone doing the Keto diet? Would love advice, thoughts and your experience with it. Trying to kick my WL stall

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I believe the science behind keto is sound, but... you will be eating 75-85% of your calories from fat to get into true ketosis. Needless to say, this is hard to maintain when you eventually get off it. It seems very rare that people stay on it long term. (There are a few MFP friends that are and I applaud them!) If you haven't already, I'd say start by cutting down on refined sugar and processed foods first. Just by doing that I've lost another 35lbs this year and I still eat a TON. Also, if you do keto you WILL LOSE WEIGHT FAST. But this is mostly water weight due to the changes in how your body metabolizes energy.
  • CrystalRose917
    CrystalRose917 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im doing Keto.. I love it. I can see it being a long term thing for me. I bought urine test strips to keep myself focused on being in Ketosis. (which is very hard to do.. in my opinion) The best thing to do is to log EVERYTHING you eat. You need to stay below 20g of carbs per day. Not easy. Just one little packet of sugar has 4g in it. Things that you are used to telling yourself are bad.. you will making your go-to foods. And staying away from things you were always told were great for you. They may be great for you, but not when you're on the keto diet. Feel free to add me, or message me.
    Oh a great thing you'll feel after the first couple of weeks.. is your appetite will be suppressed. I am never as hungry as I used to be. I actually eat a lot, and I'm down 10lbs in 3 weeks.. water weight or not, I'll take it. lol

Good luck!!
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am doing some research now, really considering giving this a try. I have been counting my macros for a year and not getting the results I want.
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Pre-op I did low carb, high fat (lchf). I kept my carbs at 50g or under per day...not true keto, similar. It works well for my husband and his endurance sports. So this will be a long term eating style.

Right now I'm 3 months post op so I'm just focused on getting protein. No room for carbs yet.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So for it says im only supposed to eat 60 g protein, however im finding it hard to stay under that AND get all my other numbers to a good point. Any suggestions?
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Wickedwitch2017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing it too, but I do say it sounds pretty scary at first. I think I might slide into it slowly by taking down my carbs a notch each week and upping the fat, and see how that goes. For the moment I'm still researching and thinking about it :)
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Different people can tolerate different amounts of protein and still stay in ketosis. Your activity level really matters. For example, I eat around 80 to 100 grams of protein a day while I'm doing keto and it works great for me. I find that when I go lower than that on my protein I really don't feel well. No amount of higher Ketone levels can help that
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    K so today is day 5 of me eating strictly Keto and i am down 10 lbs and feel great. I actually have so much more energy i cant sleep. I had to order a book to help me learn all i can about eating keto because I honestly love it
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I cycle between low carb and ketogenic. The more I spend doing keto the less time I want to spend doing anything else. I was having trouble getting below 140 but since I have been back on keto I have no cravings, my skin laxity has improved tremendously..my face is tighter everything is tighter. & I am 139.2 as of this morning. I think I may continue with keto simply because of the new research that Drs). Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek are doing as well as many others that show a strong correlation between a ketogenic lifestyle and life extension. It's definitely worth looking into and as far as how I feel the proof is in the pudding!
  • JamesAztec
    Options
    https://youtu.be/jrIfx5pfKfk

I came across this recent video of Jimmy Moore talking about Keto diet. He's one of the prominent voices of the Keto community. He lost a lot of weight but as you can see from the video he's gained a significant portion back.

I'm wondering what you guys might think the cause might be? Too many calories even though he's doing LCHF? "Cheating" with too many carbs? Lack of exercise? Poor metabolism catching up to him because of a lifetime of yo-yo dieting? All of the above?

A fear I have (and I know many have sane fear) is gaining weight back after losing. I'm confident in my current way if eating and living but it's still there. This is a guy who makes a living promoting Keto. He seems like a great guy. I hope he can get back on track because the diet and message is solid.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the full video but did he address his weight gain?
  • JamesAztec
    Options
    @loveshoe Not directly bit when he was talking about inflammation he did say he "weighed a little more" than he would like to be. He also said because of his diet he didn't have inflammation anymore.