Reduced-calorie bread

Just curious.
I 've never tried reduced-calorie bread.

I know this is a highly subjective question, but how does the taste compare to
regular?

Replies

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,679 Member
    Rather than use reduced calorie bread I have enjoyed thinner sliced or smaller loaves of regular bread. We like Dave's Killer Bread. Here in the Bay area there is also lots of local sourdough which is lower in fat and sugar and tasty.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,521 Member
    edited September 2017
    We like "no sugar" bread from Natures Own. 1 SP/slice. It's in the WW and MFP data bases.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I haven't noticed a huge taste difference, but most "reduced calorie" breads are also smaller slices that I tend to find less satisfying than normal bread. I agree with @myallforjcbill that sprouted wheat bread, like Dave's Killer Bread, is a great way to get a satisfying slice in for fewer cals and no artificial stuff.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    The reduced calorie bread I've eaten is smaller and less satisfying. I'd rather eat a heartier bread and less of it, than use the reduced calorie options.
  • gregorybald
    gregorybald Posts: 14 Member
    I bake my own bread and just slice thinner slices. I also bake lean sourdough loaves that have no honey or oil, so they are just flour, water, yeast and salt.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,521 Member
    That's why we like Nature's Own. Full sized slices.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys.
    I may give it a try.

Jasper
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Trader Joe's has a grain bread that I love. It's dense and full of texture, if you like that kind of bread. I can't remember the name (multi grain or 7 grain?) or calories, but it's 1 SP and has a pink label.