Skin Care

Options
ryenday
ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
I get very dry stinging skin if I'm not careful now that I'm in chlorinated water 4+ times a week. My core, legs and arms are managing with occasional coconut oil rub downs ( in addition to regular moisturizer 2x daily + after swim) but my hands ( fingers around cuticle area) feet and face ( which will break out if I use coconut oil on it) are suffering.

Any suggestions? Do you have any special skin care you do when you are in chlorinated pools a lot?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have eczema. Surprisingly, being in the pool over 2 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, actually helps me.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I am no help. I don't have any skin issues other than kind of dried out from chlorine, but a good olive oil soap and lotion afterward is fine. It's my hair and nails that take a beating... and I do what I can for them, but to no avail.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Having atopic eczema, I have a lot of chronic issues with my skin. Chlorine definitely makes it worse. I never use soap in the shower as it dries my skin even more. I rinse off as best I can and use Curel moisturizer after. Not all moisturizers are equal and this particular one is the best in my opinion. It's more expensive - I get the "itch defence" type. Then I reapply it before bed, and will apply it to my feet several times in the night if my feet are bothering me.

However it's not enough to manage the cracking I get on my hands, palms and knuckles. I keep a small tube of formulated "hand lotion" by Aveeno in my purse at all times. I reapply several times a day. Then for the extra problem spots I use CeraVe - it's very expensive - like $10 CDN for a small tube. I "spot use it" on the patches on my hands and knuckles, several times a day. It is a lifesaver for people with eczema. If the cracking gets out of hand and I'm leaving blood stains around (ya, sorry) then I use Aquaphor which is a petroleum type product so is very greasy. I have my cortisone creams which I apply at night.

As for my face, I am allergic to most cosmetics and creams, especially with an exfoliant in them or some "age defence" thing in them. I use Clinique moisture surge "intense" about three to four times a day, as it's just a "super" moisturizer and I'm not allergic to it. Again, it's ridiculously expensive. However because I have eczema I also have to use Protopic (prescription) about every three to four days or I'll get a flare up and start cracking and bleeding on my face, which is no fun at all. Good luck
  • ryenday
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 - A long time ago on a late night radio: show, my mother heard this tip for hair and swimmers. Honey.

Now my hair is extremely fine, so that might be part of it, but it is amazing how much honey helps my hair when I swim. Once or twice a week I will use a honey treatment in my wet hair – letting it sit in there for 5 to 20 minutes. You would think it would be sticky, but almost as soon as the honey hit's the hair it's no longer sticky. Like my hair slurped it up or something. If it is sticky at all after say a minute or two in my hair, I know that I can take a week off from a honey treatment.

Mostly I find it helps with the crazy breakage and split ends I seem to get. However it does seem to simply help my hair feel less baby fine, more thick and controllable. Again I don't know if this would help for anyone who's hair wasn't baby fine.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For skipjack: I suffered from excema on my hands and feet for 15 years or so. Doctors and dermatologists we1re of little help and just prescibed ever stronger steroid cream or similar. After some internet research, it looks like nuts, dairy and wheat are often the root cause of skin issues. I have been skin issues free for 10 years after ditching peanuts and only eating small quantities and occasionally other types of nuts. Maybe worth an elimnation diet if you haven't already?
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    @girlwithcurls2 - A long time ago on a late night radio: show, my mother heard this tip for hair and swimmers. Honey.

Now my hair is extremely fine, so that might be part of it, but it is amazing how much honey helps my hair when I swim. Once or twice a week I will use a honey treatment in my wet hair – letting it sit in there for 5 to 20 minutes. You would think it would be sticky, but almost as soon as the honey hit's the hair it's no longer sticky. Like my hair slurped it up or something. If it is sticky at all after say a minute or two in my hair, I know that I can take a week off from a honey treatment.

Mostly I find it helps with the crazy breakage and split ends I seem to get. However it does seem to simply help my hair feel less baby fine, more thick and controllable. Again I don't know if this would help for anyone who's hair wasn't baby fine.

How strange... Tell me more though! How in the world do you walk around with honey on your head? I have crazy thick, curly hair. But on top,it's really dry. Are you able to work the honey in like a conditioner? Maybe I need to try this, and then just read the paper or something. It doesn't drip off? I'm adding honey to the shopping list. I'm sure my husband will be confused when he sees the bottle in the bathroom! :smiley:
  • ryenday
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

How strange... Tell me more though! How in the world do you walk around with honey on your head? I have crazy thick, curly hair. But on top,it's really dry. Are you able to work the honey in like a conditioner? Maybe I need to try this, and then just read the paper or something. It doesn't drip off? I'm adding honey to the shopping list. I'm sure my husband will be confused when he sees the bottle in the bathroom! :smiley:
    I put the honey on as a pre-wash conditioner. Oddly, the sticky usually seems to disappear almost instantly on wet hair and the thick gooey honey seems to get absorbed into my hair. I stand in the shower or sit in the tub. When I wash my hair out 5 to 15 minutes later the hair feels a tad coarser ( a good thing for my baby fine hair) but otherwise there is generally no trace of honey. I condition as usual after washing.

So 'usually' and 'generally' caveats : if I am swimming regularly this just doesn't seem to happen, but if the honey leaves any stickiness that I can feel in my hair while washing it, then I stop using honey for a month or two. It's like my hair has absorbed all the goodness it can out of the honey and doesn't need it anymore. Again that doesn't happen when I'm swimming regularly but it happened occasionally when I would use the honey and my hair was not constantly exposed to the harsh chlorine.

What the chemistry at work is here, I don't have a clue. I just know it works on my hair.

Also make sure it is real honey. Not some honey flavored hi fructose corn syrup!
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I only started swimming recently, but I was worried about chlorine on my hair and a tip I came across was to make sure you wet your hair in the shower before getting in the chlorinated pool water so that your hair has already soaked up some water and will soak up less chlorinated water. I don't know if it really helps as, like I said, this is all new to me, worth a try though.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    I only started swimming recently, but I was worried about chlorine on my hair and a tip I came across was to make sure you wet your hair in the shower before getting in the chlorinated pool water so that your hair has already soaked up some water and will soak up less chlorinated water. I don't know if it really helps as, like I said, this is all new to me, worth a try though.

This for sure. I use a leave-in conditioner in my hair, as well as coconut oil as my "product." My hairdresser suggested it, rather than a gel or some other product. I always make sure my hair is totally wet before my cap goes on. I've tried to put conditioner on my hair before my cap goes on, but honestly, the whole process was so slippery and frustrating...

I'm going to try the honey today. Here's hoping!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I find taking an iodine supplement helps my nails a LOT
  • ryenday
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    I find taking an iodine supplement helps my nails a LOT
    Oh! I’ll have to try that!