Replies

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Who wants to talk BJJ?
  • akatdrake
    akatdrake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've really been struggling lately passing high-level open guard. The knee and opposite wrist knee-slice just does not work, and most are very agile with their hips. Any advice on passing?
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    We have been learning some BJJ basics as part of our self defense studies lately... we have a BJJ instructor that is part of our black belt class, so when we cycled back on to self defense, it was decided we'd work on ground defense as well.... and I must say that I have learned some respect for it, but it feels like the most unnatural thing I have ever done in my life!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    As a TKD fighter I'd really like to train some BJJ at some point. I have issues with being that close to people, I really enjoy my space. But TKD is only one half the equation, most "street fights" end up in a grapple, so it's good to know both striking and grappling.

We practice hapkido at my school, but it is nowhere near as indepth as BJJ.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    akatdrake wrote: »
    I've really been struggling lately passing high-level open guard. The knee and opposite wrist knee-slice just does not work, and most are very agile with their hips. Any advice on passing?

Are we talking Gi or NoGi?
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As a TKD fighter I'd really like to train some BJJ at some point. I have issues with being that close to people, I really enjoy my space.

Same here. Even clinch is too close not sure how to survive in bjj. I agree definitely a skill worth having but not sure how to get there

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    As a TKD fighter I'd really like to train some BJJ at some point. I have issues with being that close to people, I really enjoy my space. But TKD is only one half the equation, most "street fights" end up in a grapple, so it's good to know both striking and grappling.

We practice hapkido at my school, but it is nowhere near as indepth as BJJ.

I can say from a little bit of experience, it's pretty intense... and it's very uncomfortable for me - very hard not to panic the moment things don't go the way I expect they should... hopefully that will get better with time.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    It's like hugging, with aggression!! I really don't mind the closeness, but I do understand that it really makes some people uncomfortable.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    I think people naturally gravitate to one thing or the other even when training both striking and grappling. I train both, but normally vast majority of the time I am training grappling. You flip-flop amounts of training time and I still don't think my striking would ever catch up with my grappling. I inately feel more comfortable being close and comfortable suffocating the person with pressure and grips. I don't panic when the same is done to me and really don't freak out when getting choked - to my detriment a few times since I held it tapping a little too long and got sent night-night.

I will never feel quite comfortable standing up with someone trying to circle me and taking shots from a distance/in space. It's fun to train striking and I need at least a passing grade for my ammy MMA goals, but if it had to defend myself outside of sport, I am getting hold of the person as quickly as possible.
  • faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    It's like hugging, with aggression!! I really don't mind the closeness, but I do understand that it really makes some people uncomfortable.

I really dislike people touching me unnecessarily (other than my OH and my closest family), but I'm fine with it in BJJ. Isn't that funny?
    If I had researched what it was before I started, I may not have tried it. As it is, it was on offer at the gym I started training Muay Thai at, and I thought I'd give it a go. Now I'm completely hooked, and I wish I could do more than 2 sessions (+ 1 Open Mat) per week.
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I think people naturally gravitate to one thing or the other even when training both striking and grappling. I train both, but normally vast majority of the time I am training grappling. You flip-flop amounts of training time and I still don't think my striking would ever catch up with my grappling. I inately feel more comfortable being close and comfortable suffocating the person with pressure and grips. I don't panic when the same is done to me and really don't freak out when getting choked - to my detriment a few times since I held it tapping a little too long and got sent night-night.

I will never feel quite comfortable standing up with someone trying to circle me and taking shots from a distance/in space. It's fun to train striking and I need at least a passing grade for my ammy MMA goals, but if it had to defend myself outside of sport, I am getting hold of the person as quickly as possible.

I train both BJJ and Thai equally at the moment, and I'd say I actually feel equally comfortable with both, although it does depend on who I'm sparring with. I don't like rolling with the big guys who just squish me and do nothing else for the entire round, and I don't like sparring with people who are afraid to hit me back, but I have no problem with getting my *kitten* kicked, standing up or on the ground. I get my *kitten* kicked a lot, comes with being one of the smallest and least experienced members of the club. :D But it just makes me work harder :)

I do feel like my progress in both arts comes in fits and starts, and sometimes I even feel like I'm getting worse at one or the other. When that happens, I might enjoy the one I feel better about more, but it switches regularly, and I can't image NOT doing either.

Doing Martial Arts has made such a huge difference to my self confidence that I wish I had started in my teens, not my 30's. I've also learnt to acknowledge my weaknesses, and be open about them, something that's really looked down on in the industry I work in. I've become a much more rounded, happier person over all because of this.

• Dory_42
    Options
    faerie0506 wrote: »
    Doing Martial Arts has made such a huge difference to my self confidence that I wish I had started in my teens, not my 30's. I've also learnt to acknowledge my weaknesses, and be open about them, something that's really looked down on in the industry I work in. I've become a much more rounded, happier person over all because of this.

I totally relate to this! My friends are all getting bugged constantly about their kids starting martial arts of some form (obviously, my recommendation in BJJ!)
  • faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My friends are all getting bugged constantly about their kids starting martial arts of some form (obviously, my recommendation in BJJ!)

I try to recruit everyone I meet pretty much. :D

• Brabo_Grip
    Options
    faerie0506 wrote: »
    My friends are all getting bugged constantly about their kids starting martial arts of some form (obviously, my recommendation in BJJ!)

I try to recruit everyone I meet pretty much. :D

Me too. I have a little success but most people have grown tired of my constant droning on about it on my FB. That's why recently I started an IG to move Fitness -and especially BJJ related stuff -there.

My friends that dont train, really don't get. (I'm ashamed to say that some friendships including some that were a number of years old, have kind of faded as I finally found "my thing.")

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Everyone around me is tired of me inviting them out to train with me as well. We can't help it if we want to share a good thing. It's like eating birthday cake, it's more fun when shared.