Finally reached ketosis. Any tips on making sure I stay this way?

Options
I'm on a very low to no carbs diet. I also do intermittent fasting 16-8

Replies

• Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Jjust keep doing what you're doing. Without knowing what kind of tips you want it's kinda hard to narrow it down.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd just like any general advice on how to stay in ketosis. What knocks you out if ketosis? That sort of thing?
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know what has knocked me out - not being clear enuf in restaurants re flour or sugar in a menu item OR the server/chef not taking me seriously. Now I say I will have a severe reaction if I eat flour or sugar and no it has nothing do do w gluten. I find they take you a lot more serious if it is a health issue and not a weight loss preference.
  • nicci288693
    Options
    Makes sense. I don't eat out though. I make all my own meals, that's at I know exactly what I'm eating. I'm just not sure of the science of it all. Will a certain amount of carbs knock you out and how long does it take to get back to it? It took me a while to get into ketosis and I don't wanna screw it up :)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Everyone's carb limit is different. Some have to stick to 20 grams or less a day, some can go to 50.

I pay attention to the way I feel - primarily the ability to go long spans without eating or getting cranky. That tells me I'm running on fat, not carbs, and am fat adapted. I don't stress high volumes of fat or peeing on ketosticks.
  • nicci288693
    Options
    My test method is ketostix, I've heard they are useless. So maybe ive been in ketosis longer than I thought. I do intermittent fasting and I don't feel like crap or get too hungry. Thanks for the input. It helps :)
  • Shron123
    Options
    The ketostix are useful but not 100% accurate. I don't register ketosis until about 4 in the afternoon. But that's how my body works. If you aren't hungry and aren't having cravings that is a very good indicator you are in ketosis. When I first transitioned I did not suffer any Keto flu symptoms BUT that one slip in a restaurant sent me out of ketosis for almost a week and day 3 and 4 all I wanted to do was curl up and sleep. I had no energy and just felt fuzzy. Extremely good motivator for me not to make that mistake again. I keep my carbs around 20g per day during this weight loss portion of this WOE but plan to increase once I hit a good weight. Good luck
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb to follow which is simple enough to remember is that eating too many carbs and/or sugars will kick you out of Ketosis. So will drinking too much alcohol. Avoid eating to much starch or grain. I'm sure you've heard all this before.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I know what has knocked me out - not being clear enuf in restaurants re flour or sugar in a menu item OR the server/chef not taking me seriously. Now I say I will have a severe reaction if I eat flour or sugar and no it has nothing do do w gluten. I find they take you a lot more serious if it is a health issue and not a weight loss preference.

A colleague/friend of mine successfully sued a restaurant because she wrote ahead of time, rang them before the occasion, and confirmed at the time of ordering her meal that she was an extreme coeliac and could not tolerate any form of gluten. She can't even eat buckwheat flour, it's that bad. She even brings her own toaster, knife, fork, spoon and plate to work.

At each stage, the restaurant confirmed that her needs would be professionally met, and sure enough that night, she was taken ill. Very ill. I mean, hospital ill.
    Her husband (being the wise fellow he was) actually took a small sample of everything she ate, for analysis (they do this as a matter of course, now, whenever they eat out) and eventually reported back to the restaurant that they had used flour in one of the dishes.
    If the restaurant had apologised, and made some offer of compensation, the matter would have rested there. But they blatantly denied the claim, and accused my friend and her husband of profiteering and trying to get what they could.
    It took a few months, but with laboratory tests and professional backing, she won her case.

Now, the restaurants she goes to, are very limited, but they know her well.
  • Shron123
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle - glad she won. I don't actually have health issues I just lie to get their attention
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Being in ketosis is one thing, being fat adapted is another. Fat adapted is what you should aim for, your body will use fat as its primary source of energy, it can come from your plate or your stored body fat, but it will burn fat first.
    Being Fat Adapted Versus "In Ketosis"
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/02/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

Continuing to eat very low carb is how to stay in ketosis. You will actually fall in and out of it quickly once you are fat adapted.
  • nicci288693
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Good rule of thumb to follow which is simple enough to remember is that eating too many carbs and/or sugars will kick you out of Ketosis. So will drinking too much alcohol. Avoid eating to much starch or grain. I'm sure you've heard all this before.

I eat no pasta, no potatoes, no bread, no rice, no cake ect. I really don't eat any carbs unless they come from veggies or cream in my coffee. So I hope I stay in ketosis.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle - glad she won. I don't actually have health issues I just lie to get their attention

Probably the wisest course... ;)
  • nicci288693
    Options
    Being in ketosis is one thing, being fat adapted is another. Fat adapted is what you should aim for, your body will use fat as its primary source of energy, it can come from your plate or your stored body fat, but it will burn fat first.
    Being Fat Adapted Versus "In Ketosis"
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/02/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

Continuing to eat very low carb is how to stay in ketosis. You will actually fall in and out of it quickly once you are fat adapted.

Thank you, that actually helped a lot
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you treating a medical condition or doing keto for fat loss?
    If just for fat loss, being in ketosis doesn't make much difference except that most of us seem to enjoy much greater control of appetite which is usually crucial.
    Your ketone levels will ebb and flow constantly and it's also common to test lower in time as you become more effective efficient at using fatty acids for fuel.
    So all you need to do is keep carbs down. If you're under about 100-150g a day you'll be in ketosis at least some of the time every day. Go lower and ketosis is guaranteed. If you don't provide enough glucose through food, your body has to make its own. That's when you're in ketosis. Your body as a whole needs around 130g of glucose a day.