Migraines

Options
MisssG7
MisssG7 Posts: 5 Member
Does anyone else wake with migraine which disappears as soon as you eat or drink? This is my first week of keto and it's happened for the last 3 days.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing sodium? You need 5000-7000mg every day if you're keto. It's also helpful to get some decent magnesium too.
  • MisssG7
    MisssG7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a multivitamin, but will add more salt when cooking to see if it helps. I'll grab some magnesium supplements too, thank you :)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I get migraines too and since adopting a keto diet, I have found that I must take magnesium every day to keep them at bay.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You'll need 3000-5000+ mg of sodium per day. That can be a lot if you were lower sodium before. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt, so you need about 2 teaspoons of salt each day!

Consider drinking broth, using salt tablets, or just eating a 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt with a chaser of water in the morning. That's what I do and it really helps me with headaches.

Some make a salty "keto-ade" to drink. There are recipes on-line for it.

Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If these are especially upon waking, you might also consider sleep dysfunction if the sodium doesn't help. When I had sleep apnea (before losing 80 pounds), I would wake up like that, with a hellish migraine that made me wish for death... Very little helped, though getting nutrients did for some reasons, but found out later that they were due to oxygen deprivation on a scary scale... Luckily, I no longer have that problem, though deeper sleeping and such has caused other physical side effects...
  • SalsaDiva123
    SalsaDiva123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's very common. This site is very helpful. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

Supplement with a homemade electrolyte drink, water, Himalayan salt, magnesium, potassium a little lemon juice.

I take magnesium at night. Natural Calm. Go to there website and they will send you some samples to try.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    MisssG7 wrote: »
    I've been taking a multivitamin, but will add more salt when cooking to see if it helps. I'll grab some magnesium supplements too, thank you :)

Read this.
    You cannot get enough sodium just by salting food.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/low-sodium-and-keto-flu-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My almost lifelong experience with migraines (started age 9), ended with my hysterectomy and ovariectomy. Those migraines never went away with food and I was too nauseated to eat much anyway.